A question for older (or more knowledgeable) cyclists

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
Which one is you ?
I recognise Welshie because of the bloomers.
I was in the empty chair in the foreground. In the next photo I am disappointed you did not recognise Mo looking at the signpost.

taximan

senex crepitu iuvenis cordi esse
Never heard one called a 'paget' but I had one complete with a 'sou'wester' and used it for years. I thought it was a fantastic bit of kit for its day. Having said that it was heavy, and unless you had a tail wind, it was most unwise to use it in a gale :rain:

oldwheels

Legendary Member
Never heard one called a 'paget' but I had one complete with a 'sou'wester' and used it for years. I thought it was a fantastic bit of kit for its day. Having said that it was heavy, and unless you had a tail wind, it was most unwise to use it in a gale :rain:
I still have the sou'wester but the cape has long gone. Wore it regardless of wind as you could pull it in in front of your body to minimise wind resistance. Did not want to arrive at work soaking wet as there were no changing facilities in those days.

OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
Can you still recall the smell of it ^_^
Mine was yellow.

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
Mine was yellow.
My father also used one and a sou'wester - he cycled to and from work every day of his working life, so it was essential equipment. I had one too, swopped for one of the first plastic copies when they were introduced.

taximan

senex crepitu iuvenis cordi esse
Mine was yellow.

I certainly can, it had a very distinctive aroma. Mine was yellow too, I don't recall any other colours. Like 'youngoldbloke' I eventually replaced it with a plastic version which was absolute rubbish in comparison.:laugh:

tyred

Legendary Member
I'm reading "A golden age of cycling" at the moment too.

I'd figured it referred to some sort of cape. The two things that jumped out at me so far is that his diet seemed to consist mostly of beer, bread and cheese (which wouldn't impress a modern "sports nutritionalist") , he clocked up decent daily miles on a three-speeder (and probably mostly on gravel roads) and it seemed to rain a lot so for all those who believe summers were once long, dry and sunny, remove the rose-tinted specs!

OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
I'm reading "A golden age of cycling" at the moment too.

I'd figured it referred to some sort of cape. The two things that jumped out at me so far is that his diet seemed to consist mostly of beer, bread and cheese (which wouldn't impress a modern "sports nutritionalist") , he clocked up decent daily miles on a three-speeder (and probably mostly on gravel roads) and it seemed to rain a lot so for all those who believe summers were once long, dry and sunny, remove the rose-tinted specs!
Indeed.
I think he said there were only 4 dry days in the whole of August :eek:
His distances and average speed was impressive**.
**as were the amounts of bread, cheese and beer consumed.

RichardB

Slightly retro

I had a yellow one in PVC and wore it with a sou'wester if the rain was heavy. It did a remarkable job of keeping you dry and sweat-free, although you needed decent mudguards or the spray from the road would wet you from below. I can remember virtually every rider with a saddlebag had one strapped sideways across the back, or under the rear of the seat if no saddlebag - always using spare toeclip straps, thus cutting down on weight. I'd use one today no problem, except that I don't commute any more and if it's raining I tend to stay indoors (or take the car). It's a shame capes dropped out of fashion. Very practical items.

tyred

Legendary Member
Indeed.
I think he said there were only 4 dry days in the whole of August :eek:
His distances and average speed was impressive**.
**as were the amounts of bread, cheese and beer consumed.
I have to do this in memory of Charles Pope! :becool:

They didn't have bread and cheese on the menu so I got a turkey and ham dinner.

tyred

Legendary Member
That Carradice needs a cape, though. :becool:
I have one actually but with moving house temporarily and waiting to move into my new flat most of my possessions are still boxed up so I'd have no idea where it is until I move again and get unpacking.

I could have done with a Cape yesterday morning as it pretty wet!

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
Paget Street was just round a couple of corners from where I was born in cardiff. I had no idea it was named after a rain cape.

CharleyFarley

I searched it by typing "paget rain gear." It brings up a lot of photos of people in all types of rain clothing.

Now that you've mentioned it, I used to do a paper route, over sixty years ago, and wore a yellow oilskin cape, leggings and sou'wester. I don't like today's rain gear for cycling. Someone recommended cheap rain capes with hoods in Home Depot so I bought a couple; I think they were $2 each. The first time I wore one, I stopped at a gas station just as high wind and rain hit. I put it on then got back on the bike. I hadn't gone more than about ten yards when I felt the rain hitting my back. The whole cape got ripped right up the back by the wind.

At least Florida is warm when riding in the rain, so if I'm caught in it, I just get wet.

Top Bottom