A question of etiquette/traffic law ...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
This is really fascinating. Everyone (including the pedestrians) would wonder what was wrong with you if you waited for them to reach the kerb here.
I was actually just visualizing this situation in Rome :laugh: the op would have been pulled up by other road users for ... waiting at the crossing!
When in Rome do as the Romans, or when in Malaga as the Spaniards ^_^ but in the good old UK, do as the law AND common courtesy say.

Norm

I failed my 1st driving test in 1990 as i went behind a pedestrian when they were over into the opposite carriageway on a full size crossing. I queried the examiner and stated the give precedence bit . he replied that that means waiting until they have finished crossing as they could turn around part way across. the advice is still the same today from ADIs
Thanks, subaqua. :thumbsup:

It's pretty much as I thought, in terms of the exact word of the law differs from the accepted interpretation of the law.

I always wait (now!), having been taught the same as you for my driving that a crossing is a single unit unless there is an island etc but I don't see that in the words.

simon.r

Person
Can anyone remember an old comedy sketch, possibly Dick Emery, where a pedestrian frustrates a motorist by putting one foot on a zebra crossing, taking his foot off, then putting it on again, and again, and again...?

I have a vivid memory of watching this in the '70s.

MrJamie

Oaf on a Bike
On a Zebra crossing, i just tend to slow down and give people plenty of room, stopping if sensible, but if say a person is crossing from left to right, i wouldnt wait until theyve cleared the other lane entirely when i can continue slowly with a couple of metres room. Last summer i saw an old guy pretty badly shaken up when a cyclist sped up to make a disappearing gap between the guy and his friend from behind taking them by suprise and literally skimming them.

Also, MK cycle network is a bit odd as in someplaces the (shared use) cycle routes use zebra crossings and sometimes you can legitimately jump off the road onto a cycle path to avoid junctions/lights.

jds_1981

I failed my 1st driving test in 1990 as i went behind a pedestrian when they were over into the opposite carriageway on a full size crossing. I queried the examiner and stated the give precedence bit . he replied that that means waiting until they have finished crossing as they could turn around part way across. the advice is still the same today from ADIs

Interesting, so technically shold be fine to pass behind pedestrians unless the wording is interpreted oddly. I'm not yet convinced by the turn-around point but will mull over it.

Bromptonaut

Rohan Man
Wait until they're on the island or pavement was my driving instructor's mantra in 1977. Same for my kids who've both learned in last five years. Whatever the rationale it's an immediate fail on the test.

bjellys

I pulled up in my car at a set of lights in Earls Court one evening and an old chap started to cross the road ,but very slowly and with loads of attitude (as much to say I am exercising my right to be obstinate ) so as he was nearing the other side I revved my engine loudly so he thought I was pulling away with that he ran like hell got to the kerb put his walking stick up to his shoulder like a rifle and pointed it at me we both smiled at each other and off we went.I know it was the wrong thing to do but the guy obviously had a real sense of humour.

On the subject of cultural differences, here in Sunny Belgium before they changed the law pedestrians would have to catch the eye of the driver before stepping out onto a crossing: it is not uncommon to still see drivers of a certain age looking away as they approach a crossing :ohmy:

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
On the subject of cultural differences, here in Sunny Belgium before they changed the law pedestrians would have to catch the eye of the driver before stepping out onto a crossing: it is not uncommon to still see drivers of a certain age looking away as they approach a crossing :ohmy:
that would be interesting in court...
"I caught his eye."
"No you didn't"
"Yes I did"
"Any witnesses?"
"What to me catching your eye?"
"Yes."
"er..."

al78

Guru
I'm glad this thread was started, as I wasn't aware of the strict requirement to wait for the crossing to be completely clear before proceeding. I'll make sure I do that in future.

fatblokish

Guru
Another thought; is overtaking the same as passing on the left? If so, then perhaps the following from the HC also applies to the OP
Pedestrian crossings (191-199)

You MUST NOT park on a crossing or in the area covered by the zig-zag lines. You MUST NOT overtake the moving vehicle nearest the crossing or the vehicle nearest the crossing which has stopped to give way to pedestrians.
[Laws ZPPPCRGD regs 18, 20 & 24, RTRA sect 25(5) & TSRGD regs 10, 27 & 28]

All the zebra crossings I have ever seen (IIRC) have zig zags on the approach, so perhaps the OP should not have passed the nearest car. Or the nearest bike if a bike is a vehicle. Then again...

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
Another thought; is overtaking the same as passing on the left? If so, then perhaps the following from the HC also applies to the OP
Pedestrian crossings (191-199)

You MUST NOT park on a crossing or in the area covered by the zig-zag lines. You MUST NOT overtake the moving vehicle nearest the crossing or the vehicle nearest the crossing which has stopped to give way to pedestrians.
[Laws ZPPPCRGD regs 18, 20 & 24, RTRA sect 25(5) & TSRGD regs 10, 27 & 28]

All the zebra crossings I have ever seen (IIRC) have zig zags on the approach, so perhaps the OP should not have passed the nearest car. Or the nearest bike if a bike is a vehicle. Then again...
If you check the actual law regarding it, then you will see that it only applies to motorised vehicles.
You can read about it here

subaqua

What’s the point
If you check the actual law regarding it, then you will see that it only applies to motorised vehicles.
You can read about it here

yes as they used the word vehicle and didn't mention driver as in the ZPPPCRGD driver means operator of car and rider of cycle.

One SI would all it would take to clear up definitons . but that might lead to a whole raft of redrafts on existing SIs to clarify what they actually mean.

Top Bottom