A question on wheel purchase - lessons learnt

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Nicobulus

Wheel arrived looking like this. It’s a 700c x 19mm build. Rim tape looks rubbish to me and I’m surprised by the off centre holes. They were cheap and I guess you get what you pay for and have ordered wider rim tape to fix the gap.

When querying the supplier I received a magical quote saying this is how they’re built and we’ve had no problems with the ones we’ve sold.

I will use the wheel for commuting which is why I’ve gone for a cheaper option.

Question for the panel is: what should I consider for my next commuter wheel?
331E384F-68C5-401A-9BE9-EAC2F338C12A.jpeg

straas

Matt
I went for mavic aksiums as I heard they were bombproof, and they were £150 for the pair.

I've already had to retrue the rear, have only done 1500km on it or so.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
The holes are supposed to alternate from side to side. Yes, the rim tape is too narrow and should be changed.

It is perfectly possible to build a good wheel from a mediocre rim. I do it all the time because I don't like paying £50 for a rim that will wear out just as quickly as a £15 one. A good wheel is one that stays true and never needs a spoke key until the rim wears out.

gbb

Legendary Member
While it does'nt look ideal, it may well be the tape will work ok, the supplier may be truthful. But of course all this is maybe's. Personally i'd try it, make sure the tape is covering every hole and see how it goes...only then will you know if its ok or not.
TBF, the offest hole does look like it'd leave some of the rim tape unsupported even when situated correctly, but that's just opinion. I'd use it but just make sure the rim tape is situated as perfectly as it can be.

Cheap wheels aren't neccessarily bad. I had a set of rigida rims on Raleigh hubs (i think, it was a long time ago)...cheap wheels. They did many many thousands of trouble free (over 6000) road biking miles and were still going strong when i sold the bike.

si_c

Guru
This is fairly common with economically priced wheels - the rim tape is frankly awful. As @raleighnut says cut it off and use velox cloth tape - it's utterly reliable.

With that tape you have a 100% chance of flatting at some random moment - the rims that came with my last bike had some similar tape on and it moved a couple of times whilst riding causing the inner tube to get forced into the spoke bed and rupture. I replaced it with cloth tape fairly quickly and not had any problems since.

I went for mavic aksiums as I heard they were bombproof, and they were £150 for the pair.

I've already had to retrue the rear, have only done 1500km on it or so.
Mavic Aksiums have got a real problem with their ability to remain true, but if you know how to adjust the spoke tension / have a truing stand, they are fairly bomb proof.

Wheel arrived looking like this. It’s a 700c x 19mm build. Rim tape looks rubbish to me and I’m surprised by the off centre holes. They were cheap and I guess you get what you pay for and have ordered wider rim tape to fix the gap.

When querying the supplier I received a magical quote saying this is how they’re built and we’ve had no problems with the ones we’ve sold.

I will use the wheel for commuting which is why I’ve gone for a cheaper option.

Question for the panel is: what should I consider for my next commuter wheel?
View attachment 464671

That rim tape is awful. You’ll get a ruptured tube the first time you try to ride anywhere with it like that. Replace it with these

https://www.wiggle.co.uk/lifeline-essential-rim-tape-pack-of-2/

and you’ll be good to go. The only issue I’ve had with Velox or cloth type rim tape is it’s ability to trap sharps if you have to change tubes, on the fly.

si_c

Guru
That rim tape is awful. You’ll get a ruptured tube the first time you try to ride anywhere with it like that. Replace it with these

https://www.wiggle.co.uk/lifeline-essential-rim-tape-pack-of-2/

and you’ll be good to go. The only issue I’ve had with Velox or cloth type rim tape is it’s ability to trap sharps if you have to change tubes, on the fly.

Yeah I always go around the rim and make sure that nothing has got stuck to it anyway, good practice before re-seating the tyre IMO. I don't like those types of elasticated strip very much - they're a bugger to get over the rim edge and very easy to get a distorted position. Once they are on though they work really well, but you can't easily take them off and re-use them like cloth tape - like for example if you need to replace a spoke.

I like cloth tape for it's simplicity easy to get on, easy to get off and once off you can roll it up and store it for use on another wheel later.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
I find Specialized Rim Strip works for most rims, although it was a tiny bit narrow for a DT wheelset I bought. Velox is ok but makes tyre fitting more difficult on rims without a deep central well, because it's quite thick. It also allows oil through, which rots the inner tube if you run an old Sturmey-Archer geared hub (niche, I know!).

raleighnut

Legendary Member
This is fairly common with economically priced wheels - the rim tape is frankly awful. As @raleighnut says cut it off and use velox cloth tape - it's utterly reliable.

With that tape you have a 100% chance of flatting at some random moment - the rims that came with my last bike had some similar tape on and it moved a couple of times whilst riding causing the inner tube to get forced into the spoke bed and rupture. I replaced it with cloth tape fairly quickly and not had any problems since.
I wouldn't cut the tape off, just get a little screwdriver under it and lift it away. :angel:

pawl

Legendary Member
Mavic Aksiums have got a real problem with their ability to remain true, but if you know how to adjust the spoke tension / have a truing stand, they are fairly bomb proof.

I have Mavic Aksiums on three bikes.for several thousand miles .Have only had one wheel go out of true..Not the lightest wheel set around but i have found them to be reliable. I only weigh 72kg and don’t encounter a lot of dodgy road surfaces.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
I have Mavic Aksiums on three bikes.for several thousand miles .Have only had one wheel go out of true..Not the lightest wheel set around but i have found them to be reliable. I only weigh 72kg and don’t encounter a lot of dodgy road surfaces.
Not been tempted to go out the back of Thurlaston to get a picture of 'Your Bike In Front Of A Ford' then :whistle:

Top Bottom