A quick question about the new lockdown

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

johnnyb47

Guru
Hi.
I don't know if anybody knows the answer, but will the furlough scheme also apply to companies in Wales in the new announcement to the new lock down restrictions to England. I'm sure my company will be hit hard again by this news as most of our trade is with England.
All the very best

oldwheels

Legendary Member
Hi.
I don't know if anybody knows the answer, but will the furlough scheme also apply to companies in Wales in the new announcement to the new lock down restrictions to England. I'm sure my company will be hit hard again by this news as most of our trade is with England.
All the very best
As I understand it the scheme will only apply as long as it is needed in England. None of the other nations were even told about this but had to read about it in a newspaper or telly news. Once Southern England seems ok the rest of you can get stuffed seems to be the message.

OP
OP
johnnyb47

johnnyb47

Guru
I'm reading mixed messages about this. Today after reading the online news it seems all of the UK is now eligible for the extended furlough scheme whilst others are saying it isn't. Its all very confusing at the moment. I've also heard that we are going to continue to work through it (fingers crossed)

vickster

Legendary Member
OP
OP
johnnyb47

johnnyb47

Guru
Thanks for that useful link @vickster.
That's been a big help. Looking at it, it looks like the Wales is included,as it says all of the UK is covered by it.
Hopefully we will not end up closing and be a burden to the tax payer.
I would sooner want to work rather than being furloughed, as of many of the thousands facing this again

OP
OP
johnnyb47

johnnyb47

Guru
Thanks for that useful link @vickster.
That's been a big help. Looking at it, it looks like the Wales is included,as it says all of the UK is covered by it.
Hopefully we will not end up closing and be a burden to the tax payer.
I would sooner want to work rather than being furloughed, as of many of the thousands facing this again

oldwheels

Legendary Member
As I understand it the scheme will only apply as long as it is needed in England. None of the other nations were even told about this but had to read about it in a newspaper or telly news. Once Southern England seems ok the rest of you can get stuffed seems to be the message.
To add to this the evasive answers continued until a nobody Tory MP asked the same question and was given a seemingly positive response but only in a desperate attempt to make him look good. I say seemingly as any promise however vague coming from Johnson is not worth the breath used making it.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
MrsF registered for jobseakers today. Another statistic. The job offer she had last week has fallen through by the looks of it.

Drago

Legendary Member
Well, they wanted a devolved administration, so can't really complain when Momma suddenly stops doing stuff for them.

OldShep

Über Member
If @Drago you come home from work and hand all your pay packet to Momma. and then Momma, holding the purse strings, decides on how much of it to give you back. Will you be happy with devolution or might you be looking for Independence?
You need to loose this belief that devolved nations of the U.K. are surviving on hand outs from England. Also if devolved countries are surviving on handouts from England then ask yourself why? Doesn’t it suggest a United Kingdom has failed these countries? I think I’d add the North of England to that list too

Drago

Legendary Member
But my Momma gives a disproprtionate amount back in order to fund this devolved Government, while the same central government is not paying a single penny to the English for comparable devolution purposes. And I say that as a Scotsman.

Didn't hear anyone complaining when the devolved Welsh government received funding from the central source - only seem to hear it when they're expected to spend some of it on themselves instead of someone else paying.

it's like the Welsh locals moaning under lockdown about the English nipping across into Wales. Yet when they fall ill with Covid they're only too happy to cross the border into England to stay in hospital at Hereford or Bristol.

This parochial talk is largely bollards, and is utterly annoying. We're a group of tiny islands, barely 1/7th the lands area of Texas, but everyone seems to bicker that everyone else is fractionally better off in some regard than they are, while conveniently forgetting how their own good fortune may in turn be better than their neighbours in other respects. Life ain't always fair, but you need to either get over it, or start complaining when the unfairness benefits you too. This selective bitching is pointless and unproductive, and is how we end up with the likes of the Donald or Boris in charge.

Last edited:

oldwheels

Legendary Member
But my Momma gives a disproprtionate amount back in order to fund this devolved Government, while the same central government is not paying a single penny to the English for comparable devolution purposes. And I say that as a Scotsman.

Didn't hear anyone complaining when the devolved Welsh government received funding from the central source - only seem to hear it when they're expected to spend some of it on themselves instead of someone else paying.

it's like the Welsh locals moaning under lockdown about the English nipping across into Wales. Yet when they fall ill with Covid they're only too happy to cross the border into England to stay in hospital at Hereford or Bristol.

This parochial talk is largely bollards, and is utterly annoying. We're a group of tiny islands, barely 1/7th the lands area of Texas, but everyone seems to bicker that everyone else is fractionally better off in some regard than they are, while conveniently forgetting how their own good fortune may in turn be better than their neighbours in other respects. Life ain't always fair, but you need to either get over it, or start complaining when the unfairness benefits you too. This selective bitching is pointless and unproductive, and is how we end up with the likes of the Donald or Boris in charge.
Cannot be bothered looking up the figures but your assertions are nonsense. In fact we in Scotland subsidise England. If we were so expensive to them why are they so desperate to hang on to control and indeed shut down the Scottish parliament so everything can be done from westminser for the benefit of England. We are also a handy depository for nuclear weapons very near a major city.
Nothing like good rant first thing in the morning.

Top Bottom