A quick straw poll of folder riders

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
& I post it with some trepidation of the derailment potential.

1) Do you wear a helmet when riding a folding bike?

2) Do you wear a helmet (or feel more likely to) when on bigger frame bikes of whatever style in similar just getting from A to B riding.

I'm simply interested if my attitude that folders and helmets don't mix but other bikes and helmets seem more suited is peculiar to me.

I neither want nor care about anyone else's views of helmets as a safety item nor anecdotes that you believe you're only alive/were hurt more because of wearing one.

What about a big frame folding bike?

4 of my folders have full size frames

OP
OP
shouldbeinbed

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
What about a big frame folding bike?

4 of my folders have full size frames
You got me, I've had one too, I was trying to keep it general rather than bang on with a list of roadie, cx, mtb, 'bent, hybrid etc.... As I'd be sure to miss something out and get told off - I tried guv honest :-)

OP
OP
shouldbeinbed

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
It is not helmets, it is dress in general. On the Brompton, I never wear Lycra. On a real bike I do.
Yep this is me too, Tends just to be the roadie and a ride for the sake of riding that sees me dress in anything other than the clothes I'd be wearing anyway nowadays, but folders are just so hop on and go. Same point fab foodie is making in his Rhine thread too.

Real bike, Your Brompton is a toy?

Last edited:

seadragonpisces

Über Member
A) No
b) No.

I have 2 nice Bern Watts helmets but cant be bothered to wear them, I am a big risktaker anyway.

I wouldnt be able to say having a big bike you would maybe need one more but after flying down a bumpy road once on my Brompton with its dinky wheels and unstable handling, I did wish I had a helmet as a back-up at the time. Luckily I got to the bottom ok and I own a Dahon instead with suspension and 20'' wheels, much better !!!

Shaun

Founder
No for the folder - as I generally use it to slowly bimble / commute dressed in my normal clothes and don't really mix-it-up with traffic; I don't do much overtaking on the Dahon (unless little old ladies with shopping trolleys count?). :laugh:

Yes for the hybrid and road bike - as I tend to go a lot faster on them (think - "Flying Spud") - and often zip through traffic and keep pace / overtake where I have the opportunity to do so safely.

Kempston

& I post it with some trepidation of the derailment potential.

1) Do you wear a helmet when riding a folding bike?

2) Do you wear a helmet (or feel more likely to) when on bigger frame bikes of whatever style in similar just getting from A to B riding.

I'm simply interested if my attitude that folders and helmets don't mix but other bikes and helmets seem more suited is peculiar to me.

I neither want nor care about anyone else's views of helmets as a safety item nor anecdotes that you believe you're only alive/were hurt more because of wearing one.

Yes, always.
And yes. The logic escapes me. Why would I be more or less likely to wear one on a non-folder? A bike is a bike. Although my folding Tern P24 is a full sizer anyway.

cisamcgu

Legendary Member
Yes and Yes
I always wear a helmet; occasionally I feel that I don't need to, but once I have been wearing it for a minute or two I forget it is there, however, if I fall off and crack my head against the kerbstone I sincerley hope the helmet doesn't forget I am there :smile:

fimm

Veteran
1) No. I used to but I stopped.
2) The other bike is a road bike. I usually wear a helmet and lycra to ride it, however sometimes (if the Brompton is off the road for some reason) it does duty as a utility bike. I tend to be a little more selective in what clothes I wear, but I also don't wear a helmet if I'm going from A to B as opposed to "training".
No, I don't see the logic either.

StuartG

slower but further
Looking at it the other way the chance of a collision is probably higher riding the Brommie in town than a road bike in the country. The speed is also more likely to be within a helmet's limits.

But one mustn't get logical or we may find ourselves in another place.

fimm

Veteran
Looking at it the other way the chance of a collision is probably higher riding the Brommie in town than a road bike in the country. The speed is also more likely to be within a helmet's limits.

But one mustn't get logical or we may find ourselves in another place.
I agree.
To add some more to the lack of logic, the only time I've fallen off a bike and hit my head, I fell off the Brompton, and I was wearing a helmet at the time. It was very icy and I decided that the risk of a low speed fall where a helmet might be useful was high. I was right. (I should have taken the bus.)

Some people have a tendency to land on their heads however they fall, particulary americans - if their bike forums are anything to go by. These people should always wear helmets even in bed.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
1) Occassionally, if I aint wearing normal ordinary clothes.

2) Occassionally, if TLH catches me helmetless on leaving the house.

al-fresco

Growing older but not up...
a) No.
b) Usually.

(I wear a helmet if my feet are going to be clipped in or if I'm planning some 'proper' off-roading.)

Top Bottom