A quick straw poll of folder riders

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...

ClassicLime

For me yes & yes, I don't fancy regaining consciousness in the back of an ambulance again. But each to their own.

Tho do feel abit silly with my road helmet on while riding my folder. A round BMX helmet seems to suit the casual clothed look more. So far I've resisted buying another helmet.:laugh:

OP
OP
shouldbeinbed

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
<snip>

Tho do feel abit silly with my road helmet on while riding my folder. A round BMX helmet seems to suit the casual clothed look more. So far I've resisted buying another helmet.:laugh:

That is part of it for me, regular bike helmets look totally incongruous when on a folder and are another thing to carry.

I spotted this http://www.closca.co/collections/helmets/products/closca-fuga-black the other day and had a hmmmm, moment, to satisfy biking on work duty requirements, but it looks to have the same lack of ventilation that the BMX style ones and unfortunately I do run warm so avoid these types.

Sustineo

Regular
For Me It's
1) YES
2) YES
With regards to your statement
"I neither want nor care about anyone else's views of helmets as a safety item nor anecdotes that you believe you're only alive/were hurt more because of wearing one".
I totally understand your point, but I also wear mine as a legal fear. A friend of mine got absolutely no compensation after being hit by a car as the drivers solicitor stated if he was wearing a Helmet his injuries would have not happened.
Just a thought....And I only ride Folders

For Me It's
1) YES
2) YES
"I neither want nor care about anyone else's views of helmets as a safety item nor anecdotes that you believe you're only alive/were hurt more because of wearing one".
I totally understand your point, but I also wear mine as a legal fear. A friend of mine got absolutely no compensation after being hit by a car as the drivers solicitor stated if he was wearing a Helmet his injuries would have not happened.

I find that hard to believe based only on the fact the rider was not wearing a helmet which is not a legal obligation in this country. The drivers solicitor must have god like powers to state the injuries would not have happened otherwise. Sounds more like your friend was put off claiming by a sneaky inverted logic letter from the drivers solicitor or the driver was not at fault.

Kell

Veteran
This morning I topped out at just under 27mph on the flat. On a standard three speed, that's some cadence.

10995613_10152829065986021_6191291762557586657_n.jpg

The Jogger

Legendary Member
This morning I topped out at just under 27mph on the flat. On a standard three speed, that's some cadence.

Just out of interest, how do you manage to copy that. Sorry for going off topic.

On topic, No and No. But I do wear P20 spf 30 on my head in this hot weather.

OP
OP
shouldbeinbed

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
For Me It's
1) YES
2) YES

I must admit the law factor is the thing that gives me more moments of wondering whether to bother than any thought of physical protection, but at the moment I'm not convinced the groundswell of such decisions is going that way often enough to change my day to day habits.

I find that hard to believe based only on the fact the rider was not wearing a helmet which is not a legal obligation in this country. The drivers solicitor must have god like powers to state the injuries would not have happened otherwise. Sounds more like your friend was put off claiming by a sneaky inverted logic letter from the drivers solicitor or the driver was not at fault.

I'm assuming that there was no independent medical report prepared on the friend from whom the lawyer could quote. but even so, we know how divided the medical profession is on the subject.

I wouldn't go as far as to say I find it hard to believe, the lawyer is only doing their job to use whatever tools are to hand in defence of their client & minimising whatever insurance payout may be required, this time against whoever was representing the friend (badly) and in front of whichever judge it worked, next time with different people it may not.

In the law there is an element of greyness and you can find a good lawyer (showman) with a weak case can beat a poor lawyer with right on they side, particularly if the judge (& jury where applicable) has similar sensibilities. We only need to look at the laxity of killed/maimed by car court sentences and number of people allowed to keep a driving licence with 12+ points on it to see that in action.

Bradley Wiggins made a comment a couple of years back basically saying that you may as well wear one to close off a litigation loophole and got labelled as a pro-helemeteer for his sins.

OP
OP
shouldbeinbed

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along

thats impressive out of a 3 speed, I'm no racing snake & don't dress like one but if I hit high teens on flats (guesstimate from cars passing or keeping with them in 20 zones) I'm pedalling as fast as my little legs will carry me and spinning out.

Kell

Veteran
I'm hardly a racing snake. I'm 43 and 16 stone.

I wear cycling bib shorts under freeride shorts and wicking, but loose, tops.

Surprised the roadie that I dropped though...

I'm hoping that when I get my own Brompton (instead of the hire one) putting SPDs and bar ends on will make me a little quicker too.

As for the picture, it's an iPhone, so it's just a screen shot.

Last edited:
Top Bottom