A Raleigh Twenty Refurbishment.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Caperider

It's finished....sort of.

I cleaned up the rear tyre white walls with a Swarfega type product called Really Good Stuff hand cleaner.
View attachment 515794

View attachment 515795

I've had this product for years, it has come in handy ( see what i did there?) for cleaning handlebar grips, white walls, white rubber grips on pedals etc. Just dab it on with a damp cloth or toothbrush or if it's really bad use a brass wire brush and then wash it off and dry.
It's also really good for cleaning all the crap off your hands!
View attachment 515796
Then I put the wheel back on the bike, connected the gear cables, replaced the chain, trued the rear wheel a little bit and checked all my other nuts bolts, cable and connections, it's ready to roll...unfortunately it raining heavily today so riding the Twenty it will have to wait.
Although I have finished it for now, the bike could do with new tyres, new brake cables and outers, but these will have to wait until the Covid 19 crisis is over.

In the meantime here's some photos of the bike taken in the rain.

View attachment 515797
I left the rear rack off, I think the bike looks better without it, besides I've broken it anyway.

View attachment 515798
I can't help wondering if I should have had it powder coated.

View attachment 515799
If you been reading the other posts you may recall I 'liberated the saddle from an abandoned and dumped bike somewhere in that there south London.

View attachment 515800
The side stand I've had lying around for years, kept meaning to put it on eBay, but it has come in useful here. This model of the Raleigh Twenty did not come with a side stand included.

View attachment 515801

The End...for now.

Cool bike it turned out nice! :smile: !!Powdercoating is so over rated. Only works on things that don't go outdoors or see saltwater. Like if you build an old Triumph or BSA and keep it in the living room.

OP
OP
EltonFrog

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
High time Mr Frog did another one I reckon. Jump to it 🐸

If I do it won’t be a twenty. About 18 months ago I blinged up a KP but I didn’t write a fred about it.

Here’s a couple of before and after photos.

IMG_0224.jpeg

Before. It cost me 35 quid which is the most I’ve ever paid for a KP.
IMG_0418.jpeg

Had powder coated for £25.
IMG_0496.jpeg

Rebuilt the wheels with black spokes. A first for me.
IMG_0540.jpeg

Finished bike. New chain set, Selle Italia leather saddle, etc.

I also did a similar thing to the R20 to a Puch Promenade. Lovely looking bike.
Complete strip down, gears n’all and rebuild. In retrospect I should not have sold it.
IMG_1406.jpeg

If I do it won’t be a twenty. About 18 months ago I blinged up a KP but I didn’t write a fred about it.

Here’s a couple of before and after photos.

View attachment 707403
Before. It cost me 35 quid which is the most I’ve ever paid for a KP.
View attachment 707402
Had powder coated for £25.
View attachment 707401
Rebuilt the wheels with black spokes. A first for me.
View attachment 707400
Finished bike. New chain set, Selle Italia leather saddle, etc.

I also did a similar thing to the R20 to a Puch Promenade. Lovely looking bike.
Complete strip down, gears n’all and rebuild. In retrospect I should not have sold it.
View attachment 707413

Excellent stuff Mr Frog. Gotta say, the gold one is a stunner. I had you down as someone with a very conservative approach, but I'm surprised and impressed in equal measure :notworthy:

OP
OP
EltonFrog

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
Excellent stuff Mr Frog. Gotta say, the gold one is a stunner. I had you down as someone with a very conservative approach, but I'm surprised and impressed in equal measure :notworthy:

Thank you, I think your assumption is mostly correct, it was the brainchild of the Fragrant MrsP to have it powered gold sparkle. I’ve only ridden it a couple of times, I still have, but don’t really want it.🤨

Top Bottom