A Raleigh Twenty Refurbishment.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
@FrankCrank , the MonkyShred video was the one I was using as a guide, that guy made putting that circlip on look easy, mine was really difficult, it took about ten minutes of faffing.
I admire your tenacity in sticking with this interesting project . My mind would have focused on another project half way through.
I was wondering if you were going to refurbish the tyres.
Well done for doing another interesting project .

OP
OP
EltonFrog

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
I use the flat of a screwdriver.

Much easier said than done.

I admire your tenacity in sticking with this interesting project . My mind would have focused on another project half way through.
I was wondering if you were going to refurbish the tyres.
Well done for doing another interesting project .

They need replacing really, and if I keep the bike I will, but I don't want to spend the money on it until the crisis is over.

OP
OP
EltonFrog

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
It's finished....sort of.

I cleaned up the rear tyre white walls with a Swarfega type product called Really Good Stuff hand cleaner.
mage_15cf09c8-c115-4e2f-b8de-1a35764c624f.img_0742.jpg

mage_1face728-d6af-4f5b-bd61-af700cbd33f1.img_0743.jpg

I've had this product for years, it has come in handy ( see what i did there?) for cleaning handlebar grips, white walls, white rubber grips on pedals etc. Just dab it on with a damp cloth or toothbrush or if it's really bad use a brass wire brush and then wash it off and dry.
It's also really good for cleaning all the crap off your hands!
good-stuff.jpg

Then I put the wheel back on the bike, connected the gear cables, replaced the chain, trued the rear wheel a little bit and checked all my other nuts bolts, cable and connections, it's ready to roll...unfortunately it raining heavily today so riding the Twenty it will have to wait.
Although I have finished it for now, the bike could do with new tyres, new brake cables and outers, but these will have to wait until the Covid 19 crisis is over.

In the meantime here's some photos of the bike taken in the rain.

mage_8f3d9e0d-3e64-4f56-b01d-54fc43b78922.img_0746.jpg

I left the rear rack off, I think the bike looks better without it, besides I've broken it anyway.

mage_baac9bdb-4309-4d35-9df7-b1a8d54bd2e3.img_0749.jpg

I can't help wondering if I should have had it powder coated.

mage_da90f544-7c5b-48c7-8ac6-39f5c986168b.img_0750.jpg

If you been reading the other posts you may recall I 'liberated the saddle from an abandoned and dumped bike somewhere in that there south London.

mage_1d102b80-9cad-476d-bfe0-ad6c09f74191.img_0752.jpg

The side stand I've had lying around for years, kept meaning to put it on eBay, but it has come in useful here. This model of the Raleigh Twenty did not come with a side stand included.

mage_8cd83369-8678-4be8-9e98-4865e2e7b316.img_0747.jpg

The End...for now.

OP
OP
EltonFrog

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
Took this to the bike project today. Going to a new owner soon.

Top Bottom