A Raleigh Twenty Refurbishment.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
EltonFrog

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
Slightly OT but I saw this on Kingpin FB group.

Thought it was a neat idea.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
The frame is not particularly heavy and is quite well-designed. If you replace all the heavy steel fittings*, you get quite a zippy bike, and 20" wheels are fun. Many are also folders, which makes them good for holidays and indoor storage.

Raleigh threading, though 🤮

*when they called it the All-Steel Bicycle, boy they meant it

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
They are still shorter, and the wheels can be lighter and stronger. On smooth surfaces they are nice enough to ride; they can be harder work on rough roads but tyres can make more difference. 20" wheels (whether 451 or 406 size) roll noticeably better than Brompton 16" wheels.

Perhaps the biggest advantage is that a Twenty is probably not going to be stolen. Even the wheels are useless for most other bikes.

OP
OP
EltonFrog

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
I understand FOLDING bikes! I'm struggling with small-wheel bikes that don't, and seem to have all the small-wheel drawbacks.
This is sounding a bit like the debate about MTB wheel sizes!
Never mind all that, see if you can find a KP or if you must a Twenty for about a tenner ( or free), tidy it up a bit and go for a ride, its good for a larf.

Gunk

Guru
The ease of use is a big factor, nice simple SA 3 speed, small wheels. I’m looking for one for my daughter as she is a nervous rider after an accident on holiday last year. I thought a 20 would be ideal to gently get her back in the saddle, plus they’re sort of retro cool 😎

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
Kingpins have BSC/ISO threading but the frame isn't as strong - compare photos of the two and look at the BB area. I haven't ridden a folding Twenty, only a rigid one, but the hinge is supposed to be very good.

OP
OP
EltonFrog

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
Kingpins have BSC/ISO threading but the frame isn't as strong - compare photos of the two and look at the BB area. I haven't ridden a folding Twenty, only a rigid one, but the hinge is supposed to be very good.

Got any evidence?

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
Got any evidence?
Which? magazine tested both in the mid-70s and came to that conclusion, according to Tony Hadland (bike historian and Raleigh guru). Anecdotally (and more recently) there are plenty of people who've seen a broken Kingpin but no-one who's seen a broken R20.

Kingpins also often have 500A wheels, and tyre choice is even worse than for British 20"!

We made a jump bike out of one of these in the early 80s and snapped the main tube after a few days but I can't remember which it was. We called it a "shopper" but that was a generic term.

Last edited:
I'm a fan of R20's, and would imagine it more robust than the KP. Not that R20's are indestructible, this one showed up on Faceache recently, one comment being 'I think you folded it in the wrong place'
1588346786488.png

I'm certainly enjoying riding my renovated '77 example - great, fun ride. They're not for everyone mind, and if you can't see what all the fuss is about, well, don't beat yourself up about it. Highly recommend you try one though :okay:

Top Bottom