A Raleigh Twenty Refurbishment.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gunk

Guru
A quick measure, and it's around 72mm. Took a slice off the drive side only. The non-drive collar 'floats' to a certain degree, so guessing they can accommodate shell widths in the 68-73mm range, maybe a little more. The plastic collar with the cartridge had too many threads to work properly, so used a steel one off another old cartridge, perfect. Some trial and error, and luck. Anyway, a link to that build:
https://atomiczombie.com/forum/threads/franks-raleigh-twenty-build.128/

Just read your post Frank, respect to your engineering skills :okay:

OP
OP
EltonFrog

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
img_0526.jpg

I started to put the bike back together today, first giving the frame a polish with car polish.
img_0527.jpg
img_0528.jpg

Then sorting the parts for the bottom bracket, adding the ball bearings to the drive side with grease 11 of them using a magnetic screw driver to lift them in the bearing race.
img_0529.jpg
Three bearings so far
img_0582.jpg
Magnetic screwdriver.
img_0627.jpg
img_0628.jpg

I added the the spindle and non drive side bearing cup, bearings and lock ring, adjusted and tensioned just right.
img_0629.jpg
img_0630.jpg
img_0631.jpg
Crank arm
img_0633.jpg
Chainring fitted to the spindle, the right way round this time.
Next I replaced the crank arm and chainring, I initially added the non drive side crank arm with cotter pin installed then discovered that I had the spindle in the wrong way round and had to start again.
img_0634.jpg

Next was installing the fork, I had all the correct bearings, it was a puzzle though remembering which order all the headset fittings went, it was a good job I had plenty of photographs to refer to from before dismantling the bike.
img_0635.jpg
img_0636.jpg
img_0638.jpg

Fork all back together, including the handlebars, the front brake and the safety device that attaches to the brake bolt to stop the handlebars being raised to high. ( no photos of that) .

I’ve still got quit a bit to do, not least of which is sorting out the rear wheel.

avecReynolds531

Veteran
View attachment 512782
I started to put the bike back together today, first giving the frame a polish with car polish.
View attachment 512783 View attachment 512784
Then sorting the parts for the bottom bracket, adding the ball bearings to the drive side with grease 11 of them using a magnetic screw driver to lift them in the bearing race.
View attachment 512785 Three bearings so far View attachment 512786 Magnetic screwdriver. View attachment 512787 View attachment 512788
I added the the spindle and non drive side bearing cup, bearings and lock ring, adjusted and tensioned just right.
View attachment 512789 View attachment 512790 View attachment 512791 Crank arm View attachment 512792 Chainring fitted to the spindle, the right way round this time.
Next I replaced the crank arm and chainring, I initially added the non drive side crank arm with cotter pin installed then discovered that I had the spindle in the wrong way round and had to start again.
View attachment 512793
Next was installing the fork, I had all the correct bearings, it was a puzzle though remembering which order all the headset fittings went, it was a good job I had plenty of photographs to refer to from before dismantling the bike.
View attachment 512794 View attachment 512795 View attachment 512796
Fork all back together, including the handlebars, the front brake and the safety device that attaches to the brake bolt to stop the handlebars being raised to high. ( no photos of that) .

I’ve still got quit a bit to do, not least of which is sorting out the rear wheel.
Thanks for an excellent thread - really informative & interesting.

OP
OP
EltonFrog

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
Surprised you kept that naff nylon bush for the steering, the devil himself must have designed it for Raleigh. Reckon you'll have it all done these next few days, with all the good weather. What you got planned as a follow-up?
That bush, along with a few other design features of the Twenty, is the naffest of naffyness, a cheap solution to a problem that didn’t exist for the sole purpose of saving money.

On subject of money I’m trying to finish this project on the tightest of tight budgets.

The weather is grotty at the moment so I don’t know if I’ll get out today, and I’m still waiting for a caged bearing to arrive in the post.

No other projects in the pipeline, if I find one I’ll do it, but I’m not actively looking.

Last edited:

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
AIUI the nylon bush was designed to damp the steering by introducing a bit of friction, as the steering was otherwise rather quick (a consequence of making the bike compact in length and giving it small wheels).

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
You still need to deal with the 78mm shell width, though. Raleigh made life as difficult as possible!

OP
OP
EltonFrog

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
AIUI the nylon bush was designed to damp the steering by introducing a bit of friction, as the steering was otherwise rather quick (a consequence of making the bike compact in length and giving it small wheels).
Velo Orange sells threadless square taper BBs if you want a more modern cartridge BB at some point. No thread tapping required .
You still need to deal with the 78mm shell width, though. Raleigh made life as difficult as possible!

Very informative and interesting, thanks, but non of that is happening on this bike, can’t be arsed with all that. No offence like.

OP
OP
EltonFrog

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
Today was another couple of hours putting things back on the bike but first I had to undo the head set again because this morning I discovered a ball bearing on the floor that must have fallen out when I was doing it yesterday. That sorted out I put on the brake callipers, mudguards, chain guard, seat post, gear lever, brake levers and pedals.

img_0643.jpg
Rear mudguard.

img_0644.jpg

The front mudguard is not full fitted yet, the two thick wire mudguard stays have to be attached to the front wheel axle before being bolted on. Can’t fit the front wheel yet until I get a new tyre for it.

img_0646.jpg

Front brake calliper and steering stop fitted.

img_0647.jpg
img_0648.jpg

Both pedals fitted, I like the design of these but I’m told by Raleigh Twenty experts that these are not particularly nice or good quality. The amber reflector on one of the pedals on this Alpha Twenty was smashed, but a nice man called David sent me a better one in the post free of charge, which was kind of him.

img_0651.jpg

The chain guard was a bit of a faff to fit, there were bolts missing and I had to drill a hole in the repair I made, I eventually found suitable nuts and bolts to fit in my spares box. The gear cable stop on the chain stay was also cleaned, polished up and fitted.

img_0652.jpg

Brake lever and gear lever fitted very easily enough.

img_0654.jpg

The seat post and post clamp all greased and refitted. The saddle is not original, that was liberated from an abandoned and scrapped Dawes bike whilst out on a Facebook Twenty/Kingpin group ride, it’s just the job.

The next jobs are

• Brake and gear cables and outers install and fit.
  • New rear wheel bearings and axle service
  • Fit rim tape, inner tubes and buy tyres for both wheels.
  • Handlebar grips
  • Drive chain
  • Test ride.

Last edited:
There are options for dealing with the BB, but the most tempting is to leave everything as is. Properly maintained, there's nothing wrong with the tried and tested cup and ball system. The Raleigh heron design looks nice on the chain-ring, and if all the chrome work can be polished up then it's a pukka job :okay:.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
Rather than load individual loose ball bearings in with tweezers, which I find a bit of a faff, I use a different approach. What I do is fill the bearing cups with as much vehicle wheel bearing grease as I can physically cram in, then load the balls into the cups with my fingers and spread more grease on top of them before fitting to the bike. If the fixed cup won't come out of the frame I still fill the cup with grease the same way but load the balls through the axle hole from underneath. I have an old cloth or bit of blanket under my workmate, so if I drop a ball it will stick to the material and not bounce away and disappear. Searching for AWOL ball bearings during a rebuild is incredibly irritating, and I really don't have the temperament for it!

Top Bottom