A Raleigh Twenty Refurbishment.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gunk

Guru
For the record 3.5 hours.

Of pure unadulterated pleasure

Hey Carl, as for the hub, if the gears all work after flushing, might be a case of 'if it ain't broke don't fix it'.

Thanks for highlighting that R20 for sale in Reading on the other channel, looks in good nick, but optimistic asking price.
The two I own cost 25 quid the pair. The real value comes from cherishing a neglected bike and bring it back to life :okay:

OP
OP
EltonFrog

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
Gawd! I am a dumb arse sometimes, shouldn’t be let near a feckin Lego brick let alone bike.

I was pondering the dilemma of the gears late last night when it dawned on me that the problem is probably not the gears but instead the bearings. A quick search on the tube of u and I found an excellent video on how to service the bearings.
I got the wheel out again and set about investigating my theory.

Clamped in the workmate.

Got the ring, cog, cover, washers and nuts off. Also the clutch mech (I think) , spring etc.
Got the ball bearings out using a very powerful magnet (didn’t drop any this time)

The. I took this clutch thing apart. No wonder it felt notchy.

The bearing cage is fecked. I’ve ordered a couple, in the meantime I Cleaned and grease put back Together what I can. I’ll have to wait now.

Bearings cleaned, new grease and replaced.

Retainer cap replaced.
Just hope the new bearings won’t take too long.
Just giving the wheel a gentle spin in the clamp, and already I can tell that was the problem.

Sometimes the bleeding obvious is staring at you in the face and you don’t see it.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
Sturmey AWs are pretty easy to strip down. Shifting the RH ball cup, which gets screwed tightly into the shell by pedalling, can be tough.

The only tricky bit with reassembly is the "R" shaped springs for the planet cage pawls. They need to be eased into position with some sort of rod (I use a 4mm allen key) as you are poised to push the retaining pin into place.

The parts that usually wear are the four planet pinion pins, the clutch and the ball bearings.

Gunk

Guru
A great little tool is a magnet on the end of a car aerial, brilliant for retrieving loose bearings.

Great work by the way, very envious, as I’m project free at the moment, kicking myself now for selling a Peugeot 531 project bike earlier this year, at the time we had too much on our plate.

D

Deleted member 1258

Gawd! I am a dumb arse sometimes, shouldn’t be let near a feckin Lego brick let alone bike.

I was pondering the dilemma of the gears late last night when it dawned on me that the problem is probably not the gears but instead the bearings. A quick search on the tube of u and I found an excellent video on how to service the bearings.
I got the wheel out again and set about investigating my theory.
View attachment 512108

Clamped in the workmate.
View attachment 512109

View attachment 512112

View attachment 512111

Got the ring, cog, cover, washers and nuts off. Also the clutch mech (I think) , spring etc.
Got the ball bearings out using a very powerful magnet (didn’t drop any this time) View attachment 512110

View attachment 512113
The. I took this clutch thing apart. No wonder it felt notchy.
View attachment 512114
The bearing cage is fecked. I’ve ordered a couple, in the meantime I Cleaned and grease put back Together what I can. I’ll have to wait now.
View attachment 512115
Bearings cleaned, new grease and replaced.

View attachment 512116
Retainer cap replaced.
Just hope the new bearings won’t take too long.
Just giving the wheel a gentle spin in the clamp, and already I can tell that was the problem.

Sometimes the bleeding obvious is staring at you in the face and you don’t see it.

Don't you hate it when you do that? I do it occasionally its highly annoying.

Might just be the photo, but looks like the sprocket has lost one of the 3 'spigots' that engage onto the hub? - can't see that it would contribute to the symptoms you describe however.

OP
OP
EltonFrog

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
A great little tool is a magnet on the end of a car aerial, brilliant for retrieving loose bearings.

i thought I had one it came in a nice case with other tools, I opened the case and the only thing that’s missing is the telescopic magnet.
Might just be the photo, but looks like the sprocket has lost one of the 3 'spigots' that engage onto the hub? - can't see that it would contribute to the symptoms you describe however.

It’s the photo, the spigots are all present.

nice work!

quick question about Oxalic Acid... does come in powder form to be mixed in a liquid?

thanks, yes it’s crystals like sea salt , I got mine from eBay.

Ironic me talking about projects, just seen this abandoned outside M&S in town. The council will end up removing it and selling it for peanuts.

View attachment 512154

View attachment 512155

That’d be a great project. Edited to add @Gunk I'd be very tempted to liberate that and give it's freedom, I wouldn't but I would be tempted.

Last edited:
Top Bottom