A Raleigh Twenty Refurbishment.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
EltonFrog

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
You can remove stickers (and the glue underneath them) with WD40.
Tried that, and lighter fluid and white spirit and meths, didn’t work. Heat did.

OP
OP
EltonFrog

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
Another update...it's not like I've got any thing else to do.

Yesterday I soaked the rusty chrome levers, nuts and other parts in some oxalic acid, today I took them out of the solution and they were rust free, the second photo above is how they looked straight out of the bucket. The photo below is after a polish with Autosol, just using a clean cloth no wire wool.
img_0402.jpg

Before oxalic acid treatment.
img_0384.jpg

Straight out of the Oxalic Acid bucket

img_0390.jpg

After a polish.

Then I started on the handlebars and stem, the rust in these was quite light and I used chrome polish and fine wire wool, they’ve come up very well, though there is some slight damage by the stem on the bars.
img_0386.jpg

Before polishing
img_0387.jpg

Before polishing

img_0389.jpg

After polishing

img_0388.jpg

After polishing.

Next in line was the chain ring, crank arms and pedals. Covered in years of grease, dirt and rust they actually looked worse than they were, another application of wire wool, white spirit and and polish with Autosol brought the crank arms and chain ring up to a brilliant shine.
The pedals felt rough when spinning, after forty odd years of no maintenance it’s hardly surprising. One of the insert reflectors was missing in the right side pedal, plus it was very worn and rusty on the spindle. I was able to change this pedal thank to a very generous donation of a replacement pedal my an acquaintance on Facebook who posted me one. Both pedals cleaned up well and spin nicely after a soak in some chain oil.
img_0392.jpg
img_0393.jpg

Before polishing

img_0394.jpg

Broken reflector.

img_0395.jpg

Rusty Crankarm.

img_0396.jpg

Nice and shiny.

Next job the mudguards, I removed the stays and cleaned them with white spirit and wire wool, then the same treatment to the mudguards with a final polish with a cloth and Autosol. Very pleased with the results they were quite manky.
img_0397.jpg

Before polishing .

img_0398.jpg

Before polishing.

img_0399.jpg

img_0400.jpg

Shining in the sunshine.
img_0401.jpg

The underside.

newfhouse

Resolutely on topic
You’re good at this cleaning malarkey @EltonFrog . I wish I had your patience.

chriswoody

Legendary Member
This is coming up great, should look really good when it's finished.

I've never stripped a Sturmy Archer hub, but I've stripped an old Sachs torpedo 3 speed amongst others.

I think there all fairly similar, having access to old tech documents helps a lot as well as photos as you go. You've got the expertise and time so go for it, you know you want to!

Top Bottom