A real cyclist?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
R

Rain drops

My word. I don't know where to start, with so many cages seemingly rattling!

But just to answer one who asks, 'What business is that of yours?' I might usefully reply the same to him, an apparently self elected arbiter of what question I may ask on an open forum. (I note he didn't answer the question!)

Neither am I insecure with regard to cycling. Much of what I say has a touch of mischievousness, for the sake of it. If you can't see the funny side of folk, I feel sorry for you.

But with regard to the fascination of cycling, I consider the human powered cycle to be one of mankinds simplest but most efficient and wonderful inventions ever. It enables any fit individual to cover vast distances (100 plus miles a day) just like that! A bike is indeed a magical machine, and is, in a sense, timeless.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Much of what I say has a touch of mischievousness, for the sake of it.
Mod Note:
@Rain drops we call this style of posting trolling on internet fora, it's in bad form because it can lead to misunderstanding.
Please desist, cheers from the mods.

OP
OP
R

Rain drops

Two days ago a couple of immaculately (matching cycling gear) turned out young ladies, each with a small Union Jack flag on a short stick fastened to their handlebars, purposefully powered past in the opposite direction, pedalling in unison, and with big smiles on their faces, as I had also, in admiration.

It brought home to me what I've noticed over the past couple of years, that the roads and moors of N.Yorks are 'filled with the sound of music' (women do tend to talk a lot in groups) as they get stuck into their task.

The numbers of women cyclists in our area (minor roads, and M.T.B. moor tops around Sutton Bank centre cliff tops) really have snowballed, which may have something to do with the lockdowns of the past couple of years. But one thing I did notice during those days (only ride from home, so moors virtually closed to those who didn't live nearby) lone women do have an added burden which we lone men never even think about. I crossed tracks in the initial lockdown period with a lone woman runner, out in the middle of the deserted moors, and I sensed she was apprehensive. I did all I could to show her I meant no harm, and on subsequent days we crossed tracks with no problem. (And smiles and waves.)

It did bring home to me the difficulty lone women face in deserted settings, but given human nature being what it is, I see no obvious solution. So full marks to those ladies who won't let that stop them. We men appreciate that attitude.

winjim

Smash the cistern
Two days ago a couple of immaculately (matching cycling gear) turned out young ladies, each with a small Union Jack flag on a short stick fastened to their handlebars, purposefully powered past in the opposite direction, pedalling in unison, and with big smiles on their faces, as I had also, in admiration.

It brought home to me what I've noticed over the past couple of years, that the roads and moors of N.Yorks are 'filled with the sound of music' (women do tend to talk a lot in groups) as they get stuck into their task.

The numbers of women cyclists in our area (minor roads, and M.T.B. moor tops around Sutton Bank centre cliff tops) really have snowballed, which may have something to do with the lockdowns of the past couple of years. But one thing I did notice during those days (only ride from home, so moors virtually closed to those who didn't live nearby) lone women do have an added burden which we lone men never even think about. I crossed tracks in the initial lockdown period with a lone woman runner, out in the middle of the deserted moors, and I sensed she was apprehensive. I did all I could to show her I meant no harm, and on subsequent days we crossed tracks with no problem. (And smiles and waves.)

It did bring home to me the difficulty lone women face in deserted settings, but given human nature being what it is, I see no obvious solution. So full marks to those ladies who won't let that stop them. We men appreciate that attitude.

Eek. You really should have stopped before that last paragraph. Certainly those last two sentences undermine the preceding one.

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
noob-facepalm.jpg

vickster

Legendary Member

Good grief :wacko:

Jurassic Park is thataway >>>>

Remember, dear reader(s); some of this MAY be meant "mischievously".

See also:
"I was only joking, love!"

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Mod Note:
@Rain drops we call this style of posting trolling on internet fora, it's in bad form because it can lead to misunderstanding.
Please desist, cheers from the mods.

Perhaps @Rain drops misunderstood, and thought "desist" meant "carry on".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom