A real cyclist?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
You were lucky, we used to put a wire brush down there to keep you on the rivet.

Wire brush? I dreamt of being allowed a wire brush. We had industrial sanding machines down our pants back in't day.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
As a 'non proper' rider I note that there is concerted pressure, especially in the cycling press, for all cyclists to 'take it to the next level', 'goi harder and faster', 'MTFU', (the daftest advice of all) etc.

It seems to me that the reason for actually wanting to ride about on two wheels is often lost in all this coercion. (Propaganda?) Obviously not all do as they are told, but I'm surprised at just how many do see it that way. (Mountain biking even worse. 'Go big or go home', even if in some cases it results in life changing injury in the quest for notoriety!)

I was thinking this just recently while sitting in the car at the top of a local hill climb (Carlton Bank N.Yorks.) with a giant flask of tea and a box of egg sandwiches. (Always looked forward to, after any type of riding.) I watched a road cyclist slog his way to the top with a grin on his face, only to immediately turn about and belt back down. I bet to myself that he was on one of these utterly daft and boring Everest outings. Sure enough, by the time I'd exhausted the giant flask, and polished of the news and daily crossword, up he puffed again though this time with no grin on his face (it was hurting) only to belt back down again.

Now this, it seems to me, is the opposite to the sheer joy of riding a bike, and it is more of a self imposed repetitive and boring form of punishment. What on earth are they proving that couldn't be done in a more productive form? Whatever, suffering is a must for them!

Training?

oldwheels

Legendary Member
I have just been reading some old Cycletouring. The magazine of the CTC when we were proper cyclists and non of this modern rubbish.
Photographs of real cyclists and not a helmet far less any hat to be seen. The obligatory primus hanging from the crossbar and cycle capes when it was raining.No lycra either. Real people and not the posed dummies we get now with artificial grins plastered on their faces.
Even adverts for plus twos and my Greenspot jacket.
They look as if they are really enjoying their cycling rather than trying to beat their best strava whatever that is.
Now it is just a business and not a pastime to be enjoyed.

I have just been reading some old Cycletouring. The magazine of the CTC when we were proper cyclists and non of this modern rubbish.
Photographs of real cyclists and not a helmet far less any hat to be seen. The obligatory primus hanging from the crossbar and cycle capes when it was raining.No lycra either. Real people and not the posed dummies we get now with artificial grins plastered on their faces.
They look as if they are really enjoying their cycling rather than trying to beat their best strava whatever that is.

That's rubbish because I enjoy my pastime. Even when I'm wearing Lycra !

I remember when I started cycling in the early 80s. Bike clothes were rubbish then. Kit is so much nicer now. Lighter, warmer, less flappy and so much choice.

I think the real difference is that the roads have become so much more dangerous. More cars. Bigger cars. Faster cars. More distractions at the wheel.

Just enjoy your cycling whatever and however you do it.

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...

- when the CTC was a proper cycling club and the magazine was interesting and informative?

pawl

Legendary Member
I gave up buying cycling magazines on subscription.Got to technical for my feeble mind .

VO2 MAx who the hell is he some kind of super hero 🦸‍♂️ Watts output Thought that was about light bulbs
Generally cycling for me is about the pleasure of being outside enjoying the sights and sounds of the country side
If I was starting out cycling today and took the advice in the cycling magazines .E£2000 bikes classed as entry level I would probably look for another pastime.Iwill admit to owning. a carbon Planet. x which cost just shy of £ 1000 and I do love it Mrs P bought it for me when I survived major heart surgery Now at 81 i do appreciate the lightness and the extra gears particularly the 34 cog at the back but for me it has maintained my love of being an old bimbler

Horses for courses I suppose

Last edited by a moderator:

oldwheels

Legendary Member
That's rubbish because I enjoy my pastime. Even when I'm wearing Lycra !

I remember when I started cycling in the early 80s. Bike clothes were rubbish then. Kit is so much nicer now. Lighter, warmer, less flappy and so much choice.

I think the real difference is that the roads have become so much more dangerous. More cars. Bigger cars. Faster cars. More distractions at the wheel.

Just enjoy your cycling whatever and however you do it.

You must realise I was not entirely serious and anyway I started touring in the early 1950s when the cycling world was different. We had no money for fancy gear and my pal who came touring also had an ex police bike with a double crossbar. It took two of us to turn it over if he punctured.:ohmy:

pawl

Legendary Member
This thread got me thinking about club rides in the mid fifties.We had two clubs in Loughborough CTC and the soar valley Road Club I was a member of both clubs the latter mainly because the club room was at a pub who brewed their own beer.There was a lot of support between both clubs Marshalling at the road clubs road races annual diners social events even some club rides

The CTC club rides always had a destination EG Tissington well dressing The most bizarre was Rothwell bone crypt The crypt under the church contained bone relics The long bones of the bodies were stacked in a piles It appears The skulls lined up on shelves As we left my mate came out with I crept into the crypt.Craped and crept out again A regular summer trip was to Barrow On Soar we hired rowing boats.

I enjoyed club life back then Both clubs went out of existence.Made a lot of good friends
Checked what CTC clubs is still fairly local to Loughborough is the Charnwood section who we had several joint club runs with . Me and couple of mates went frequently went to their club nights again at a pub in Griffydam Must be a bit of theme here

Loughborough CTC think it was the Royal Oak
Soar Valley Road Club The Britannia .Demolished many years ago.
Charnwood Section CTC New in Griffydam
Please excuse the ramblings of an old fart.But happy days.:notworthy::notworthy::notworthy::notworthy:

VO2 MAx who the hell is he some kind of super hero 🦸‍♂️ Watts output Thought that was about light bulbs
The issue is that people are aware that those sorts of metrics are important to the pro riders and now technology makes it easy for any ordinary Joe rider or Strava warrior to have access to them and to pretend it is important for their level of cycling.

It's harmless, keeps them amused and doesn't impact on my enjoyment of cycling, so isn't a problem and doesn't improve their real cyclist rating.

OP
OP
R

Rain drops

Of course, I didn't mention non-real virtual reality; indoor stationary 'riding' with make believe computer screen enhancement.

I assumed nobody would be silly enough to fall for that one, when they could be outdoors battling the elements!

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Of course, I didn't mention non-real virtual reality; indoor stationary 'riding' with make believe computer screen enhancement.

I assumed nobody would be silly enough to fall for that one, when they could be outdoors battling the elements!

Nope, no one does that. Ever.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom