A real cyclist?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
I may only average about 10 or 11 m.p.h. but I get there just the same.
If you know this info, you must have a bike computer of some sort, maybe you're even on Strava? :whistle:
That would real-ly make you a cyclist ^_^

OP
OP
R

Rain drops

Yes, I use a basic Garmin with a heart monitor, purely for my own amusement.

If I've come across in a negative light, that is misleading. I'm emphatically not against progress, just change because we can. I've two road bikes as stated. One is a 9 year old Spesh Roubaix with 2x9 gearing and rim brakes. The newer one is a 5 year old Spesh Roubaix (the front shock one) with 2x11 gearing, and disc brakes. Do I think the newer one to be better? Not easy to say!

Disc brakes (as with mountain bikes) are an improvement on the rim grinding brakes on the older bike (on its 3rd set of expensive new wheels) ,but the front spring on the newer bike I could do without. The 11 'cogs' work just fine, but do nothing for me, a recreational rider, that the 9 'cogs' of the older bike have always done, so 'upgrade' would not be the word I would use.

I live in the Vale of York and have a favourite 108 miler ride i do each summer, on hot sunny days with light winds (forecast). I leave the house at first light (3.30 a.m.) to ride up the quieter A 199 and main roads to Guisbro., and on over the moors to Sandsend (stop for photo's to wait till 7.30 for Whitby Mace store to open. Then stock up (sandwiches, milk carton, and morning paper) and sit on the cliff top bgench in the rising heat of the morning sun, till 8 o'clock.

Then I set off back, and that, for me, is a magical moment. All of a good hot sunny day to ride back over the moors (Glaisdale, Danby, Castleton etc - plenty of steep climbs) with each mile one nearer home. (side roads all the way back once down off the moors.)

My problem, a rather nice one, is which of the two good bikes do I prefer to use? I take them in turn since I'm still not sure. But what I do think is that nobody is going to produce a game changing magical design now that bikes have reached the current peak. They can mess with as maqny 'cogs' at the rear end as they like, but I won't bite!

Scotchlovingcylist

Formerly known as Speedfreak
The only way to measure a real cyclist is by the length of his/her beard......

w4YIYj32K-0V7rJmBWOE1ANrF-1WFeY6WwKAke6Oh_U.jpg

OP
OP
R

Rain drops

Appreciate the reasoning Mr. Speedfreak. We all do crazy things in our youthful prime (As a dedicated surfer I fixed a large pair of Viking type horns to my helmet and practised a serious glare to deter others from dropping in on MY wave) but the thing does seem to be that our younger silliness reappears in old age, for a second outing. Mr. Sheldon Brown appears to making an early start. so full marks!

I think at all boils down to exuberance, and the joy of surviving into old age, free of illness or debilitating defects. I find, at 84 years old, that I am able to appreciate and enjoy hard physical activity (albeit at a reduced level to the past) far more so than when it all seemed so easy, and status building.

Nothing in life lasts forever so we use it (or lose it) till that eventual day of whammo-lights out, and we slide back into non existence, as we all were for the first 13.4 billion years of the universe. It'll manage quite nicely without us!

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
There’s so much pointless snobbery in cycling from some quarters particularly. I’m 62 and reached a stage in life where (outside of my immediate family) I really don’t care what people think - “f*ck the lot of ‘em!”

I'm convinced that this "snobbery" is, in the main, imagined and not real.

Someone who feels insecure sees some people riding what they think are "fancy" bikes and imagines that those people are judging them, and are laughing at them behind their backs. When in fact the supposed snobs may not even have noticed them.

People overestimate how much other people care.

Last edited:

PaulSB

Legendary Member
I'm convinced that this "snobbery" is, in the main, imagined and not real.

Someone who feels insecure sees some people riding what they think are "fancy" bikes and imagine that those people are judging them, and are laughing at them behind their backs. When in fact the supposed snobs may not even have noticed them.

People overestimate how much other people care.

So very, very true. I count my cycling friends and acquaintances at 200+ and I don't know anyone who looks down on others.

I do though know many riders who look at the exploits of others and openly express their admiration, often directly to the person they admire.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom