A real cyclist?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
There were 'proper' cyclists in the 50's and 60's too. We didn't have Lycra, but we had wool. We had REAL chamois pads. We had club kit. We had plus-fours and long argyle socks in the winter. We had fine leather Italian Cycling shoes with nailed on cleats. We wrapped our spare tub under the saddle with a purloined Wall's Ice Cream banner. We spent hours with our noses pressed against the bike shop window drooling over the latest Campagnolo release. We begged and borrowed to buy it! We had to have the Brooks saddle WITHOUT the saddle-loops. Holdsworthy's Bike Riders Aids was our bible. ;)

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
We had REAL chamois pads

Ouch!

Screenshot_20220526-123224_Chrome.jpg

Alex321

Veteran
What about those who are offended by pluralising something that there is only one of? :eek:
"They" has always been both plural and singular.

Normally used in the singular when gender of the person being spoken about is unknown, but not exclusively. As in "Somebody has left a shoe here. How could they have not noticed they were only wearing one?"

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/they

Only the final definition under 3(d) is new. All the other definitions under 3 have been around for as long as I have been speaking English, probably much longer.

Or https://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/english/they

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
What about those who are offended by pluralising something that there is only one of? :eek:
Anyone getting offended by this is an wannabe pedant looking for a fight. (A fight that they would inevitably lose)

"They" as a singular pronoun is an accepted part of English grammar. If Fowler is OK with it, then so am I.

Edit: Cross post with @Alex321

Last edited:

winjim

Smash the cistern
I really hate all this modern pronoun business. If someone doesn't want me to use the usual he or she then how the hell do they expect me to refer to them?

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
I dont know what a real cyclist is.

Its a good job I dont care.

A young man did suggest we had a race a couple of years ago. One of these wannabe TDF whipper snappers. I suggested that the Finish line from Denmark should be Gibralter.

He thought I was joking. I wasn't. 😁

OP
OP
R

Rain drops

As a 'non proper' rider I note that there is concerted pressure, especially in the cycling press, for all cyclists to 'take it to the next level', 'goi harder and faster', 'MTFU', (the daftest advice of all) etc.

It seems to me that the reason for actually wanting to ride about on two wheels is often lost in all this coercion. (Propaganda?) Obviously not all do as they are told, but I'm surprised at just how many do see it that way. (Mountain biking even worse. 'Go big or go home', even if in some cases it results in life changing injury in the quest for notoriety!)

I was thinking this just recently while sitting in the car at the top of a local hill climb (Carlton Bank N.Yorks.) with a giant flask of tea and a box of egg sandwiches. (Always looked forward to, after any type of riding.) I watched a road cyclist slog his way to the top with a grin on his face, only to immediately turn about and belt back down. I bet to myself that he was on one of these utterly daft and boring Everest outings. Sure enough, by the time I'd exhausted the giant flask, and polished of the news and daily crossword, up he puffed again though this time with no grin on his face (it was hurting) only to belt back down again.

Now this, it seems to me, is the opposite to the sheer joy of riding a bike, and it is more of a self imposed repetitive and boring form of punishment. What on earth are they proving that couldn't be done in a more productive form? Whatever, suffering is a must for them!

winjim

Smash the cistern
As a 'non proper' rider I note that there is concerted pressure, especially in the cycling press, for all cyclists to 'take it to the next level', 'goi harder and faster', 'MTFU', (the daftest advice of all) etc.

It seems to me that the reason for actually wanting to ride about on two wheels is often lost in all this coercion. (Propaganda?) Obviously not all do as they are told, but I'm surprised at just how many do see it that way. (Mountain biking even worse. 'Go big or go home', even if in some cases it results in life changing injury in the quest for notoriety!)

I was thinking this just recently while sitting in the car at the top of a local hill climb (Carlton Bank N.Yorks.) with a giant flask of tea and a box of egg sandwiches. (Always looked forward to, after any type of riding.) I watched a road cyclist slog his way to the top with a grin on his face, only to immediately turn about and belt back down. I bet to myself that he was on one of these utterly daft and boring Everest outings. Sure enough, by the time I'd exhausted the giant flask, and polished of the news and daily crossword, up he puffed again though this time with no grin on his face (it was hurting) only to belt back down again.

Now this, it seems to me, is the opposite to the sheer joy of riding a bike, and it is more of a self imposed repetitive and boring form of punishment. What on earth are they proving that couldn't be done in a more productive form? Whatever, suffering is a must for them!

With insight like that, you should get yourself a column.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom