A recommendation for Osprey backpacks

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
Several years ago I bought a Syncro 15 backpack to use on the bike. It served me well for many thousands of miles, however I'd noticed that the coarse stitching at its base had damaged my base layer and when looking to get some more seasonal cycling garments the pack became a problem as I didn't want it to knacker them too.

I wrote to Osprey requesting some info on their current models / whether they were likely to give similar issues. After some confusion arising from their rep incorrectly thinking I was asking for, and subsequently declining reimbursement for the damaged clothing, another rep offered me a replacement pack FOC.

I opted for a Syncro 12 which was slated for 12wks lead time but turned up within a week. So far I've used it once, and somewhat smaller / more awkwardly shaped main compartment aside I love everything about it. The new pack seems like a legit improvement on my 4yr old example; the problematic stitching at the base is gone, it seems to fit me a lot better (somewhat arbitrary I know), is more comfortable, looks better (both in terms of design and fit) and generally seems like a very well thought out, quality product.

While I quite liked the old one I really think I'm going to love this one and would highly recommend both Osprey's products and after-sales service :smile:

Last edited:

Brandane

Legendary Member
+1 for the Osprey Syncro 15.
I've had mine, in light blue, for a few years now. It only gets occasional use but it is well made, fits well, and is light and comfortable to carry. Can't say I've had any issues with the stitching causing damage to clothing, but maybe I don't use it often enough for that to be an issue.

OP
OP
wafter

wafter

+1 for the Osprey Syncro 15.
I've had mine, in light blue, for a few years now. It only gets occasional use but it is well made, fits well, and is light and comfortable to carry. Can't say I've had any issues with the stitching causing damage to clothing, but maybe I don't use it often enough for that to be an issue.

The light blue is a classic and many of the old battered but serviceable examples I see are in this colour. They seem to change the design fairly significantly every year so maybe yours doesn't have the dodgy stitchting :smile:

Functionally my 15 lasted me well; although now looks a bit worse for wear with plenty of sweat stains on the straps and marks on the inside, while the fabric has worn through on the bottom beneath the frame from being put down countless times on the ground while ferreting through it for stuff and there's a small hole in one of the elasticated pockets. Certainly not terrible for what's probably pushing 6k miles of use.

Other than the stitching issue I'd have happily continued using it ad infinitum tbh. I think I'll chance putting it through the washing machine today then will decide whether it gets sold or stashed in the "outdoors cupboard" - although I don't really have a use for it now I have the new one..

OP
OP
wafter

wafter

Are cycle focused packs better than other smaller packs for cycling?

I'd certainly say so; for me the standout features being the well-laid-out ancillary / tool section (with lots of pockets and a pair of loops for a mini-pump) and "airspeed" mesh setup on the rear which is fantastic as preventing a sweat-soaked back. They also have an integrated helmet retainer to keep everything together off-bike, if that's your thing..

Top Bottom