A Roads?!?!?!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

lillyhobo

Hi Guys,

This is my first post on here and it seems to be a murky subject with little clarity out there on the internet.

A Roads?!?! What’s the situation? Am I legally allowed to ride them as I’ve heard so many different things and all of them seem to contradict or counter the previous points. I’m hoping someone on here can provide a more concrete answer.

I’m planning on cycling from Northampton to Lulworth Etate in Dorset (via Bournemouth) a total of 167 Miles over 2 days however, the route I’ve currently plotted involves a lot of A roads and before I really commit to the journey I’d love a more solid explanation of the rules and regs surrounding riding A roads.

Look forward to hearing from you all

Best

Lillyhobo

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
You can legally cycle on nearly all A roads, but there are some that you really would not want to use because of the traffic conditions (lots of vehicles driving too fast, too close). The problem isn't really one of 'legality' but one of 'sanity'!

I led a ride out of York yesterday and it involved a section of the Trans Pennine Trail adjacent to the A64. I commented at the time that I would hate to cycle on that road, which seemed more like a motorway than an A-road!

When I plan routes I try to avoid A-roads by default even though some are perfectly ok. If I have to use them, I look at the pictures on Street View. They often give you an idea of what the road is like. For example, the A64 was just like this yesterday ... (we were on the path on the right, where the jogger is)

A64.jpg

Nasty!

On the other hand, some A-roads are the only sensible option and are usually perfectly ok (except at busy times, for example rush hours and bank holidays?). As an example, the A6033 from Hebden Bridge to Oxenhope ...

A6033.jpg

Nice!!

One clue is to look at the colour of the A-road on the 1:50,000 Ordnance Map. If it is green then you can count on it probably being at least fairly busy. If it is red then it might be, it might not be.

Ask local riders for advice on particular roads.

I also suggest posting your route and asking for comments.

Another suggestion - take a look at the cycle.travel website. That is good for planning quiet routes, though it does have a tendency to avoid roads a bit more than it has to. Always check where it is sending you and use 'via points' if necessary to force it to go the way that you'd prefer. Here is a route that it came up with for your trip - LINK.

Last edited:
OP
OP
lillyhobo

lillyhobo

PS Welcome to CycleChat, @lillyhobo! :welcome:

OK, will definitely do as you have advised. To be honest from what I had previously researched I thought that may be the case and I completely understand the whole ‘sanity’ point haha

Cheers for the help and advice. I’ll try and plot an exact route over the next few days and will try and post it on here.

Best,

Al

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
As has been said, you can legally cycle on virtually any A road although whether you'd want to cycle on some is a very different matter...

There are some near me I'll cycle on if I'm out early but would avoid at peak times. Others I wouldn't even consider riding as there are much nicer or more sensible alternative routes.

Aravis

Putrid Donut
Hi @lillyhobo. If you're looking to cover distance reasonably quickly, as you are, A-roads can be really useful, and it might be difficult to meet your objective without making good use of them.

In addition to the things mentioned so far, one resource I often use is Bing Maps. The Ordnance Survey option allows you to see up-to-date information at 1:25000 scale, anywhere in the country.

With the many useful tools around these days, it's well worth taking your time over route planning, and it's amazing what you can find if you look for long enough. A general point - when planning a long distance point to point route, taking quite a pronounced curve away from the straightest line adds remarkably few miles, and may lead you to some really good options you hadn't thought of.

I look forward to seeing what you've planned, and good luck with the trip.

Don't know if there are any of these in the area you'r talking about but don't ride on an A road thats got (M) after it. That's effectivel a motorway.

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
Don't know if there are any of these in the area you'r talking about but don't ride on an A road thats got (M) after it. That's effectivel a motorway.
No, that IS a motorway according to the law. As with all motorways, no cycling.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
From Northampton, you will looking at the A43..? Legally rideable, yes. Sensibly rideable? doubtful.
As has been said, check out your roads via street view. It's a great aid!

BTW, welcome :hello:

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
A roads vary massively as stated above. This was taken on an A road -
83ZiXYGZ1vBjjtqhFfLL8RacKoUi4PLDx7uPLeZihBC4VIU2PNPMku6G4uX594iOBht8rIyW8_EJxrEqKQ=w3072-h1728-rw-no

(A838 near Durness)

Have a look at the road on streetview to get an idea of what it's like. Also, have a play with your route on somewhere like http://www.bikehike.co.uk as you will probably be able to find a more pleasant. and more interesting route than bombing up a trunk road.

andrew_s

Legendary Member
A roads come smaller than that.
The A846 has grass up the middle (streetview)

On the whole, I'd generally avoid any A road that's a dual carriageway, at least for any sort of distance.
Have a play with http://cycle.travel/map, and see what it suggests.
Click on start, click on end, and click on the route for a draggable via point, streetview, or geograph photos.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
From Northampton, you will looking at the A43..? Legally rideable, yes. Sensibly rideable? doubtful.
The former A43 through Blisworth, Tiffield, Towcester, Silverstone and so on is mostly there. There's a bit south of Towcester obliterated by the dual carriageway dragstrip, but it's not a long detour to avoid it IIRC. Probably the Wood Burcote road.

Drago

Legendary Member
A lot of these A roads are worse than motorways. I drove up the M1 yesterday morning, bimbled along a touch over 60 and the traffic was largely chilled and relaxed. A little while later I was on the A46 near Warwick and that was a cross between Wacky Races, Death Race 2000, and Ben Hur.

OP
OP
lillyhobo

lillyhobo

A roads come smaller than that.
The A846 has grass up the middle (streetview)

On the whole, I'd generally avoid any A road that's a dual carriageway, at least for any sort of distance.
Have a play with http://cycle.travel/map, and see what it suggests.
Click on start, click on end, and click on the route for a draggable via point, streetview, or geograph photos.
Good Morning,

Had a good look at the link you suggested this morning and its an amazing tool. Can't believe I'd never heard of it/been suggested it before. Thank you very much @andrew_s

I'm going to continue looking at it this evening however upon first impressions I think I may use this to plot my whole journey : )

Best, Al

Top Bottom