A rose bush question (as I know nout about gardening)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
Which plants to quickly fill a trellis ???
I have a trellis measuring 6 foot X 6 foot.
It has the sad remains of an old Clematis which looks dead apart from some leaves at the top.
So if I dig this up.........what quick growing plants can I put in ??
@Heltor Chasca ........you said those roses grew quickly so that seems an option......any other suggestions ?
NB.....I will be 72 next spring so want quick results ^_^

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
Which plants to quickly fill a trellis ???
I have a trellis measuring 6 foot X 6 foot.
It has the sad remains of an old Clematis which looks dead apart from some leaves at the top.
So if I dig this up.........what quick growing plants can I put in ??
@Heltor Chasca ........you said those roses grew quickly so that seems an option......any other suggestions ?
NB.....I will be 72 next spring so want quick results ^_^

72? Crikey man, I have a couple of clients who are twice that age. One three times. You have loads of time to enjoy gardening..

I like Akebia quinata at the moment. In the evenings Lonicera periclymenum smells amazing. Lots of wildlife and my chickens do battle for the berries. And if I had your trellis I would plant Trachelospermum jasminoides.

Really my inner Tarzan hankers after a jungle vine. You know the ones you can slash with a machete and drink water from? Those. I want one of those. Need a trellis made from RSJs though.

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
Get your new rose in the spring next year. You already have the space ready for it so it can go straight in and grow away with your other new ones from this year.

No! @Dave7 doesn’t do waiting I get the impression. Besides spring is only the 2nd best time to plant roses. Autumn is podium placed season for potted stock. Winter for bare root.

Sorry @Katherine I must use my flower power assertion.

OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
Cut the clematis down to the ground, but don't dig it out. It might bounce back next year.

Plant anything but NOT Russian Vine.
What % chance would you give it to grow back? As I say, apart from the leaves at the very top it looks dead.

OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
What clematis was/is it Dave?

Some hate interference. Some will power away. Take note of the season. Everything is going to slow up soon.
Errhh OOPS.
Mrs Dave says its wasnt Clematis...."its Honeysuckle or something" :blush:. Sorry about that. I will put a photo on if poss.

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
Errhh OOPS.
Mrs Dave says its wasnt Clematis...."its Honeysuckle or something" :blush:. Sorry about that. I will put a photo on if poss.

In that case you have two chances. I have brought them back from the dead but it does take continual water when it is dry.

Cut your losses and buy something new.

Top Bottom