1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A Round robbing for thickheads...

Discussion in 'CycleChat Cafe' started by Aperitif, 8 Dec 2007.

1. mondobongo

mondobongo Über Member

What a gross and irresponsible waste of money. So much more could be achieved with each £35,000 and we wonder why the earth is screwed.

2. Lord of the Teapot

Lord of the Teapot New Member

* Tries to work out how much tea £35,000 would buy *

3. mondobongo

mondobongo Über Member

1,827,468 PG Tips Tea Bags or 10,769 packets of Whittards Original Loose Leaf Tea.

4. papercorn2000

papercorn2000 Senior Member

Come the revolution!

5. Cunobelin

Cunobelin Legendary Member

No revolution involved - I believe from the article it is mixed by hand....

6. piedwagtail91

piedwagtail91 Über Member

sad ba$tards, some people earn far less than that in a year, and i mean earn, not have bucketfuls of money thrown at then for poncing around.

7. col

col Veteran

Absolutely ridiculous.

8. Melvil

Melvil Standard nerd

That's modern life, man.

And, anyway, it reeks a bit of hypocrisy when we snort, sniff and yelp in derision at the above priced cocktail and then head down the road to Starbucks or wherever and buy a coffee that costs more than, say, a weeks wages in parts of Africa.

It's all relative.

9. ColinJ

ColinJ Hillfinder General

"It is so gauche, so crashingly crass, that everyone else will see the buyers as barely literate, as one step up from a potato. It will be one of those things that unite both the middle class and the old rich in a belief that the super-rich come out of some kind of primeval ooze."

I couldn't have put it better myself ;)!

10. Jaded

Jaded New Member

It's a shame about the cognac.

11. bonj2

bonj2 Guest

so if you order it then, do you have to phone up in advance and get an appointment to have it?
    I presume you don't pay in cash?

so, it's £35,000. Let's do a breakdown: I'd guess that about 10% of that will be what it costs the bar for the actual booze, 30% will be the ring, and 60% will be profit for the bar.
    The cost of the booze itself to the bar will be ridiculously overpriced though.

It's JUST BOOZE for god's sake:excl:-P:;) what's wrong wi' a pint o' blue nun?

12. bonj2

bonj2 Guest

interestingly though that it contains angostura bitters. I thought that was banned?

13. John Ponting

John Ponting Über Member

Widely used in drinking and cooking. Suspect you were thinking of something else but don't know what. Might you have been thinking of Absinthe?

Absinthe originated in Val-de-Travers, Switzerland as an elixir/tincture. However, it is better known for its popularity in late 19th and early 20th century France, particularly among Parisian artists and writers whose romantic associations with the drink still linger in popular culture. At the end of the 19th century over 2 million litres[2] of absinthe were consumed annually in France alone, and 36 million by 1910.[3] Further, absinthe was portrayed as a dangerously addictive, psychoactive drug; the chemical thujone was blamed for most of its deleterious effects. The Lanfray murders of 1906 caused a petition to the Swiss government leading to its prohibition in Switzerland, and subsequently other countries. By 1915, it was prohibited in a number of European countries and the United States.
    Though it was vilified, no evidence shows it to be any more dangerous or psychoactive than ordinary alcohol.[4] A modern absinthe revival began in the 1990s, as countries in the European Union began to reauthorize its manufacture and sale. As of August 2007 over 100 brands in a dozen countries are produced.[5]

14. domtyler

domtyler Über Member

Really? I confess to having a bottle in my drinks cabinet, should I be phoning someone?