A Round robbing for thickheads...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
John Ponting said:
Widely used in drinking and cooking. Suspect you were thinking of something else but don't know what. Might you have been thinking of Absinthe?

Absinthe originated in Val-de-Travers, Switzerland as an elixir/tincture. However, it is better known for its popularity in late 19th and early 20th century France, particularly among Parisian artists and writers whose romantic associations with the drink still linger in popular culture. At the end of the 19th century over 2 million litres[2] of absinthe were consumed annually in France alone, and 36 million by 1910.[3] Further, absinthe was portrayed as a dangerously addictive, psychoactive drug; the chemical thujone was blamed for most of its deleterious effects. The Lanfray murders of 1906 caused a petition to the Swiss government leading to its prohibition in Switzerland, and subsequently other countries. By 1915, it was prohibited in a number of European countries and the United States.
Though it was vilified, no evidence shows it to be any more dangerous or psychoactive than ordinary alcohol.[4] A modern absinthe revival began in the 1990s, as countries in the European Union began to reauthorize its manufacture and sale. As of August 2007 over 100 brands in a dozen countries are produced.[5]

Absinthe makes bonj's heart grow fonder John...not all bitter and 'angry stirrer' ;)

ill have 2 thanks bar man/woman:biggrin:

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
Aperitif said:
Absinthe makes bonj's heart grow fonder John...not all bitter and 'angry stirrer' :tongue:

I'd heard that as 'Absinthe makes the heart go chunder!'

I quite like it, actually (that's absinthe (and angostura in things) not the £35k cocktail). Like Pernod with an incredible kick to it.
It was described (back on the cocktail now) as being 'no more expensive than a good holiday' in the papers, according to my partner. I suggested that if I went off on a cycle tour with £35 000 I'd expect to be gone until, say, 2014 or so. She seemed worryingly keen on this as a notion.
Anyone got a tent I can borrow for the best part of a decade?:tongue:

Top Bottom