A shout-out to Britain's courteous drivers

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I finished a LEJOG on Saturday and have been amazed at the courtesy and patience displayed by car drivers across England, Wales and Scotland. Perhaps this was due to us spending large parts of our journey on quiet country roads, but we also navigated a few large towns and cities.

One exception though, noted by all riders in our group is the Bristol area, particularly from Chew Valley Reservoir up to Ashton Court. Were we just unlucky, or is it a common trait displayed by Bristol drivers that they want to kill cyclists? Also noted that cyclists in this area tend not to wave or smile as much as in other parts of Britain. Probably because they're concentrating on staying alive.

Great trip though, and bar a minor blip, car drivers you were fantastic!

Graham

Globalti

Legendary Member
Shouldn't this be merged with the "So Much Dangerous Driving Out There" thread?

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
Idiot drivers seem to be totally random .I have often ridden all day on an audax or touring and not had a single issue then another day have multiple incidents on a ride of only a few miles.

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
wm.jpg
There are some splendid cycling routes in North Somerset.

Sadly some of the locals have their own special ways of making cyclists feel welcome.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
I'm grateful, daily, that passing pedestrians behave courteously and don't endanger my safety, by aiming haymakers at me, as I walk to work.

When it comes to pass that it is noteworthy when drivers drive with care and attention.....

Mrs M

Guru
I finished a LEJOG on Saturday and have been amazed at the courtesy and patience displayed by car drivers across England, Wales and Scotland. Perhaps this was due to us spending large parts of our journey on quiet country roads, but we also navigated a few large towns and cities.

One exception though, noted by all riders in our group is the Bristol area, particularly from Chew Valley Reservoir up to Ashton Court. Were we just unlucky, or is it a common trait displayed by Bristol drivers that they want to kill cyclists? Also noted that cyclists in this area tend not to wave or smile as much as in other parts of Britain. Probably because they're concentrating on staying alive.

Great trip though, and bar a minor blip, car drivers you were fantastic!

Graham
Well done :smile:

Ben17

It's early days for me having only just got back on the bike, and granted I've only been out at quiet times and on residential streets, but I've been pleased so far with the few drivers I've encountered this week, who have held back, seemed patient, didn't put me under pressure and passed sensibly when the timing was right.

I've been nervous about the prospect of road riding, having done the (perhaps a little foolish) thing of becoming mildly addicted to the helmet cam footage on YouTube, primarily from London-based cyclists. Having not ridden on roads for about 15 years, I'm a little slow, a little wobbly and lack a bit of confidence so, my real-world experience so far is a big positive. Long may it continue!

Not that I'll ease my guard or become complacent, of course. A bad/distracted driver can occur anywhere at any time, but I like to tell myself that most people would behave at least reasonably well towards cyclists.

Top Bottom