A SIM card question.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dave7

Legendary Member
The new phone is on charge.
Instructions say MUST only use a nano-sim card.
I have no idea what size my present sim card is BUT........ if I find the present one is not nano what do I do??
I assume I go and buy a nano-sim but if so how do I transfer all my info eg contacts & photos etc ?

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
Most sim cards can be 'snapped' into the size you need for your phone be careful when you do it, though.

tom73

Guru
You can get a new one if want but all you need to do is either snap it out as @PeteXXX say's or you can easily cut them down.
A nano-sim is basically the chip and little else. Take the sim card tray out your new one and the sim out your old one and check if they fit.
You will soon know what size it is and if it fit's if not you can easily see which bits needs removing to make it fit.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
I have no idea what size my present sim card is BUT........ if I find the present one is not nano what do I do??
I assume I go and buy a nano-sim but if so how do I transfer all my info eg contacts & photos etc ?
Do you backup your existing phone regularly? If so this is the easy solution, especially if you have a Google account. All phones will be roughly the same:

Settings >System >Updates, Backup.

Chose backup and follow the instructions. When you set up the new phone there will be an option to do this from the backup.

You may be able to backup to a PC)laptop.

You don't need a sim card to transfer data if you have WiFi, or I think, Bluetooth available. If you don't use the backup facility many phones have the ability to transfer from one to another using either. It will probably be an option during set up.

If you need a SIM card and you're on a contract call the provider who will send a new one

OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
Do you backup your existing phone regularly? If so this is the easy solution, especially if you have a Google account. All phones will be roughly the same:

Settings >System >Updates, Backup.

Chose backup and follow the instructions. When you set up the new phone there will be an option to do this from the backup.

You may be able to backup to a PC)laptop.

You don't need a sim card to transfer data if you have WiFi, or I think, Bluetooth available. If you don't use the backup facility many phones have the ability to transfer from one to another using either. It will probably be an option during set up.

If you need a SIM card and you're on a contract call the provider who will send a new one
Again I thank you.
No..... I have never backed it up. Had no idea you could.
What exactly will I be backi g up?
I thought all info/photos etc were on the sim card ??,

OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
You can get a new one if want but all you need to do is either snap it out as @PeteXXX say's or you can easily cut them down.
A nano-sim is basically the chip and little else. Take the sim card tray out your new one and the sim out your old one and check if they fit.
You will soon know what size it is and if it fit's if not you can easily see which bits needs removing to make it fit.
Thanks
I recall that when I got the existing phone the guy in the shop broke the sim down to fit this one.
I didn't know or recall it could be reduced further.
I will see:wacko:

Dirk

If 6 Was 9
Again I thank you.
You can usually set your phone to automatically back up all of your info to the Cloud. ;)

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Again I thank you.
Historically people did use a SIM card to store data. As phone memory has increased significantly it's very likely everything will be on your phone.

I guess you could check this by going to:

Settings >Storage which will show how much data you have stored and what is available. My phone has 32gb of storage and currently shows 62% used and 12.3gb available to use.

If you have a Gmail email address you will have a Google account. Backup is simple with this and secure. Without a backup lose your phone and you lose all the data.

If you don't have a Gmail account it's easy to get one and it's free. No you don't have to use this email address for sending and receiving it's simply part of the Google account.

I now have stuff to do. 😉

tom73

Guru
Thanks
I recall that when I got the existing phone the guy in the shop broke the sim down to fit this one.
I didn't know or recall it could be reduced further.
I will see:wacko:
Chance is it will just fit without doing anything. If it's a micro sim you will soon see another pre-cut snap mark. You will soon see once you try and fit it.

mybike

Grumblin at Garmin on the Granny Gear

Didn't see any pictures, so here's one.

3-in-1-SIM.jpg

I just switched phones, its was between 2 samsung phones, i put the old sim and old memory card in the new phone and installed smart switch for smasung. Loaded the app on both phones, designate one as new phone, one as old phone and sit them near each other and they transfer via bluetooth, it was easy peasy apart from a couple of apps.

OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
Historically people did use a SIM card to store data. As phone memory has increased significantly it's very likely everything will be on your phone.

I guess you could check this by going to:

Settings >Storage which will show how much data you have stored and what is available. My phone has 32gb of storage and currently shows 62% used and 12.3gb available to use.

If you have a Gmail email address you will have a Google account. Backup is simple with this and secure. Without a backup lose your phone and you lose all the data.

If you don't have a Gmail account it's easy to get one and it's free. No you don't have to use this email address for sending and receiving it's simply part of the Google account.

I now have stuff to do. 😉
I do have a google email. I dont use is as my goto is Hotmail.....but it is there.

Top Bottom