A SIM card question.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
I do have a google email. I dont use is as my goto is Hotmail.....but it is there.
You should then be able to backup your current phone to your Google account. When you set up the new one there will be an option along the lines of "setup from a backup" choose this and the backup will download to your new phone conatining all your photos, contacts etc.

In my view it is by far the simplest method. You can also setup an automatic daily backup of your new phone to the Google account and you will not lose data if you lose your phone.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Again I thank you.
No..... I have never backed it up. Had no idea you could.
What exactly will I be backi g up?
I thought all info/photos etc were on the sim card ??,
I'd take it back to the shop Dave. My phone stopped taking photos because it needed 'resetting' or summat like that.:scratch:It kept telling me to delete videos so i could take more pictures blah blah. Even after rubbing out a 22 minute video (one of my faves:sad:) it still wouldn't let me take more pics:headshake:. I received advice after advice from those who don't really know,then decided to take it to the supplier yesterday. After 10 minutes of installing this and swapping that it's now back up and running!:okay: They could've sold me a new memory card and i would've gladly bought one,but to be fair after first suggesting i needed one,they said there was already a spare card in the phone(or summat like that:scratch:), so they sorted it for free!:smile:

Last edited:
OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
I'd take it back to the shop Dave. My phone stopped taking photos because it needed 'resetting' or summat like that.:scratch:It kept telling me to delete videos so i could take more pictures blah blah. Even after rubbing out a 22 minute video (one of my faves:sad:) it still wouldn't let me take more pics:headshake:. I received advice after advice from those who don't really know,then decided to take it to the supplier yesterday. After 10 minutes of installing this and swapping that it's now back up and running!:okay: They could've sold me a new memory card and i would've gladly bought one,but to be fair after first suggesting i needed one,they said there was already a spare card in the phone(or summat like that:scratch:), so they sorted it for free!:smile:
If only I could :sad:
Virgin have now permanently closed all their high street shops.
As I said, I would go in every 2 years, choose a new phone, hand the old one over and Bobs your uncle.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
If only I could :sad:
Virgin have now permanently closed all their high street shops.
As I said, I would go in every 2 years, choose a new phone, hand the old one over and Bobs your uncle.
Ah,mine's from carphone warehouse,though i've heard a rumour they could be shutting down in Blackburn (and many more places) soon. I took it at first to a local computer fixer/seller shop. He gave me crap advice,which made the phone worse. I bought a second hand laptop off him 2 years ago for £200. That went kaput as well. Support your local high street sounds good,but you have few comebacks when things go wrong when buying stuff off them.

si_c

Guru
If you are using an android phone then when you set up the new one and sign in with your google account all your contacts will be copied over. The pictures are on the phone itself, you can plug the phone into your computer to back them all up. You can then plug your new phone into the computer and copy them onto that - or just take new ones.

You can set Google Photos up to backup your pictures to your google account too - however they only give you a limited amount of space for free so it depends how many you have.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Ah,mine's from carphone warehouse,though i've heard a rumour they could be shutting down in Blackburn (and many more places) soon. I took it at first to a local computer fixer/seller shop. He gave me crap advice,which made the phone worse. I bought a second hand laptop off him 2 years ago for £200. That went kaput as well. Support your local high street sounds good,but you have few comebacks when things go wrong when buying stuff off them.
Carphone Warehouse seem to be shutting down shops in favour of taking a small franchise area in the local PC World.

It's worked well here.

OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
@PaulSB @Dirk and all others.
Your help is, once again, much appreciated.
Phone is now up and running.
Haven't worked out how to access my Hotmail account yet :blush:
The sim card fitted.
All my contacts seem to be on.
Life is good.
How the helll did we do without mobiles in the 80s ??

classic33

Leg End Member
@PaulSB @Dirk and all others.
Your help is, once again, much appreciated.
Phone is now up and running.
Haven't worked out how to access my Hotmail account yet :blush:
The sim card fitted.
All my contacts seem to be on.
Life is good.
How the helll did we do without mobiles in the 80s ??
Just don't break the charging port on this one!

Top Bottom