A simple SORRY would suffice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

battered

Guru
You certainly stack the odds of a negative response if you shout at someone, even if it's reflexive.

You stack the odds still further if they are driving a BMW, unfortunately. Especially a 3 series. Before anyone takes exception to this, I'll just say that I am sure there are a number of pleasant, courteous, conscientious BMW drivers out there. I just ahven't seen many.

I got an apology the other day, someone was pulling out of a side turn when I had right of way and I got as far as "WHOA!" before he stoped sharply. I cycled round him and as I passed he put his hand up and said "sorry mate" through the open window, and I replied "right you are". I like to think I do the same on the occasions when I make a mistake.

In sharp contrast there are some who just don't want to apologise, in a car or otherwise. I had someone bash me with a supermarket trolley, she reflexively said "sorry" but it really hurt so I turned round to give her a dirty look. Her response? Not "sorry about that, I hope you aren't hurt, are you OK?" but a somewhat aggressive "I said I was sorry!" as if that made it all right. I made do with a scowl and a shake of my head, she wasn't worth engaging in discussion.

I know what my problem is...the more tired I get the less tolerant I get...although I haven't had a go at anybody today I was extremely p155£d off with that ped...The scary thing is I have only done two days and have five to go..work wise.:B)

Simba

Specialized Allez 24 Rider
You certainly stack the odds of a negative response if you shout at someone, even if it's reflexive.

You stack the odds still further if they are driving a BMW, unfortunately. Especially a 3 series. Before anyone takes exception to this, I'll just say that I am sure there are a number of pleasant, courteous, conscientious BMW drivers out there. I just ahven't seen many.

I got an apology the other day, someone was pulling out of a side turn when I had right of way and I got as far as "WHOA!" before he stoped sharply. I cycled round him and as I passed he put his hand up and said "sorry mate" through the open window, and I replied "right you are". I like to think I do the same on the occasions when I make a mistake.

In sharp contrast there are some who just don't want to apologise, in a car or otherwise. I had someone bash me with a supermarket trolley, she reflexively said "sorry" but it really hurt so I turned round to give her a dirty look. Her response? Not "sorry about that, I hope you aren't hurt, are you OK?" but a somewhat aggressive "I said I was sorry!" as if that made it all right. I made do with a scowl and a shake of my head, she wasn't worth engaging in discussion.

Supermarkets do bring out the worst traits in a lot of people, they wander around aimlessly and always get in the bloody way. The amount of times I have been hit with a trolley I am surprised I can still walk.

taxing

When someone does something stupid to me I always do a questioning kind of hand gesture (not the w**ker one, I don't want to know why their eyes weren't on the road. I just hold my hand palm up like I'm asking a question). Sometimes I get a 'sorry' hand gesture back, sometimes they stop doing whatever stupid thing they're doing, and sometimes they just ignore me and look pointedly away.

Exception is if someone shouts something at me, especially something disgusting. They just get a dirty look, which I hope conveys that I would rather stand in dog crap in my bare feet then look at them for one second longer.

al78

Guru
Supermarkets do bring out the worst traits in a lot of people, they wander around aimlessly and always get in the bloody way.

You'll probably find they are like that all the time, not just in the supermarket. Some people are just thoughtless, full stop.

Top Bottom