A simple 'thumbs up' gesture goes a long way

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Matthew_T

"Young and Ex-whippet"
I have noticed that since I have started 'giving people the thumb' after they have waited behind for whatever reason, that they have done the same and as a result, I am seeing and encountering less close passes.

I used to just ignore people that have waited but it now makes me feel happy inside knowing that the next cyclist that driver comes across, will probably be given the same care and space as I have encountered as a result of 'giving the thumb'.

It is getting into summer now and I am enjoying the weather more so I suspect it is the same with other people, even if they are in cars.

MrJamie

Oaf on a Bike
I prefer a show of the hand as im paranoid a thumbs up could be mis-seen as a middle finger. :O

Its much nicer though to give a positive image of cyclists and hopefully we'll get a little courtesy in return :smile:

Melonfish

Evil Genius in training.
I prefer a show of the hand as im paranoid a thumbs up could be mis-seen as a middle finger. :O

Its much nicer though to give a positive image of cyclists and hopefully we'll get a little courtesy in return :smile:
exactly the same here. little paranoid someone will take it the wrong way and think "right, ya bar-steward!" and aim for me

Linford

The thumbs up moves the perception of you being an extension of a bicycle as a machine, and the bicycle being an extension of you as a person :thumbsup:

well mathew its good to hear (or read) that you are feeling happy inside and enjoying your rides,it seems your outlook towards other road users has changed somewhat in the last couple of months,maybe you have taken onboard the advice given by other members of the forum, it does make it all more enjoyable and less stressful..... WELL DONE:thumbsup:

Andrew_P

In between here and there
exactly the same here. little paranoid someone will take it the wrong way and think "right, ya bar-steward!" and aim for me
I had someone wind down their window and start shouting at me, not sure if they heard me shout I was saying thanks!!

I thanked a Bus driver yesterday for not overtaking me and pulling in at a bus stop 300 yards up the road, when he did pass me I caught up with him at another stop as he was pulling off could have easily kept going but backed off and to my surprise he noticed and put his hazards on, which was nice.

400bhp

Guru
What a pleasant thread.

defy-one

Been giving the thumbs up of late and it has definately improved the riding experience. I'm feeling more in control of the road and drivers are giving me a wider berth!

Sent by iPhone using Tapatalk

Gary E

Veteran
I remember reading somewhere that a large percentage (can't remember the figure, doesn't matter) of human communication is by way of body language. If I'm holding up a car and he's having the decency to wait I often lift up out of the saddle and put on a bit of a show of sprinting to shorten his wait. When I pull in I'll give an open handed wave to say thanks. I've never once encountered anyone who's got angry at me and often the window is wound down and I get a cheery wave back. Result is we both go our seperate ways feeling like happy responsible road users. A little bit of possitive interaction from the start can set the tone for the whole encounter.
:smile: think positive thoughts folks. Most normal people will show respect if you're prepared to go first :smile:

MickL

Über Member
Ive been giving a lot of thumbs up to people who pull there cars in when Im filtering also got a toot of a horn from a lorry driver yesterday when I pulled in close to the curb so he could over take, I was about to start a climb up a 10% gradient hill so I was in no rush :smile:

When driving, I've noticed that if you allow another motorist out from a side road, they will often repay the favour to another vehicle a bit further down the road. It doesn't do harm to spread the love.:thumbsup:

On the subject of lorries "tooting" appreciation for a cyclist making room for them, had this happen to me the other day and I jumped out of my skin 'cos it sounded like a million decibel foghorn !:eek:

Top Bottom