A simple 'thumbs up' gesture goes a long way

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Your friendly gesture would be seen as a really offensive by people from many cultures! :whistle:

I usually just raise the palm of my hand and mouth 'Thank you' but then I worry that drivers might get the lip reading wrong and think I said "F**k you"! :wacko:

benb

Evidence based cyclist
What I like doing is, when I'm driving, overtake a cyclist with loads of room, and look in the mirror. Almost without fail, the next couple of cars behind also do an excellent overtake, but then you see the gap start to get smaller again.

Andy_R

Hard of hearing..I said Herd of Herring..oh FFS..
When driving, I've noticed that if you allow another motorist out from a side road, they will often repay the favour to another vehicle a bit further down the road. It doesn't do harm to spread the love.:thumbsup:

On the subject of lorries "tooting" appreciation for a cyclist making room for them, had this happen to me the other day and I jumped out of my skin 'cos it sounded like a million decibel foghorn !:eek:
I had a train toot at me when I stopped at a level crossing to let it go first (it didn't have priority, but I was feeling generous:whistle: ). I almost sh@t myself! Barsteward train driver with a sick sense of humour:gun:

OP
OP
Matthew_T

Matthew_T

"Young and Ex-whippet"
well mathew its good to hear (or read) that you are feeling happy inside and enjoying your rides,it seems your outlook towards other road users has changed somewhat in the last couple of months,maybe you have taken onboard the advice given by other members of the forum, it does make it all more enjoyable and less stressful..... WELL DONE:thumbsup:
Well I dont exactly relax when on the roads because I am always aware of people around me at junctions and busy situations.
My outlook has changed for the reason that I cannot understand. Bad drivers have just seemed to vanish! I have changed my lane positions at pinch points and junctions, and I still get a few people who SMIDSY me and sometimes pass me a little too close, but I have been picking up my speed and even overtaking a few people (one situation I was very proud of speeding up to 25 for the overtake).

I am enjoying the roads more now though (speaking to a lot of people about my camera and mistakes other drivers make).

oldroadman

Veteran
I had a train toot at me when I stopped at a level crossing to let it go first (it didn't have priority, but I was feeling generous:whistle: ). I almost sh@t myself! Barsteward train driver with a sick sense of humour:gun:

Hmm...in the me vs train contest, think it would always be train first!

oldroadman

Veteran
Interesting comment about the wide pass, and others following tend to do the same. Spot on, it takes quite a few vehicles to go by before the closer stuff starts again.I have had exactly the same experience, I wait, do a wide pass (sometimes boy/girl racer tears through on my tail, unsighted) and the next vehicle does the same, wide, then slowly they get closer again. On which basis if every 4th vehicle passed properly, the rest would follow like sheep (or average British motorist...:whistle:)

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
'ere Matt.... how about changing this "A little cam cyclist with a big mouth on him" to this "A little cam cyclist with a big thumb on him" .... or maybe "...a big smile on him" ??

Holdsworth

Über Member
I like to give a thumbs up or a wave of thanks to those that are patient and wait behind me for an opportunity to make a safe overtake. Every so often I'll get a wave back, but even if I don't I still feel a little better inside ^_^

Then in contrast there are the rare times I give a wave for the above reasons only for the motorist overtaking to do something stupid within seconds. Still that's only a minority and won't prevent me from continuing to show my appreciation.

Top Bottom