A small present for a 56 year old beginner. Any suggestions?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
I meet a wonderful, highly qualified nurse several times a year for routine medical appointments. She mentioned today that she had recently started learning to ride a bike and was having lessons. She said that she was still pretty wobbly and a bit nervous. Can you think of a small cycling item that I could give her as a gift that might encourage her to persevere? I think she's more at the Pashley end of the spectrum at the moment, rather than Pinarello.

Thanks.

Oldhippy

Cynical idealist
A nice bell for the bike perhaps.

All uphill

Still rolling along
Offer to accompany her on a short ride helping her feel confident turning right, taking her space?

If that feels a bit creepy could you offer her a 1/2 hour confidence building session from a local qualified trainer?

Oops just reread and see she is having lessons. Brain not engaged.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
If she's riding a Pashley or similar, she might not want to wear Hi-Viz or a cycling jacket.
I know I didn't like the look when I started.
What I found useful on dull days, easy to put away in my panniers or handbag, was a Sam Browne belt.
I still wear mine all through winter, even though nowadays I wouldn't be without my Altura jackets. ^_^
Edit: I started cycling at 48.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy

Hebe

getting better all the time
Multi tool, saddle bag, jelly babies, nice notebook to log her rides in, Anne Mustoe book (retired headmistress who cycles around the world)? Or Felicity Cloake One More Croissant for the Road (food writer who rides a Pashley in London but who did a gastro Tour de France (on a different bike).

OP
OP
slowmotion

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
It's a difficult one. If I was learning to ride, the last thing I would want is a guide about how to ride the TdF. It would be a major turn off. I think that what's needed is something very mildly encouraging and with not too much of a hint that "hardcore lycra" should be her obvious goal. For the vast majority of the world's cyclists, it's just a handy way of nipping to the shops etc.

Last edited:

Hebe

getting better all the time
It's a difficult one. If I was learning to ride, the last thing I would want is a guide about how to ride the TdF. It would be a major turn off. I think that what's needed it something very mildly encouraging and with not too much of a hint that "hardcore lycra" should be her obvious goal.
Good point. I should clarify, it was a tour, not The Tour. She picked the homes of her favourite French dishes and travelled between them, sometimes by bike, sometimes on the train. There are recipes too. I’ve been a beginner for about ten years now and still enjoy the book.

Top Bottom