A small present for a 56 year old beginner. Any suggestions?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Thank you to all the parishioners who have given me advice. I never realised that wanting to give a small token to a medic was such a minefield of etiquette.
From the little I know, she has just started to wobble about. She never expressed an interest in becoming a militant lycra warrior or going far from home. Anyway, thanks to all who have posted.
BTW, I gave the nurses of the High Dependency Unit at Hammersmith Hospital a big box of chocolates on the anniversary of my operation, for ten years after the event. I must be a very bad person.:okay:
Looks like you took the comments badly - small token, militant lycra warrior, high dependency unit, 10 years after, big box, bad person etc. Thats pretty loaded.

Relax, it was addressing your original post of giving one particular nurse a gift that you had become familiar with over routine appointments to encourage her in cycling. If you said you were coming out of life threatening operation and wanted to show your appreciation with a box of chocolates to nurses as a group, it's a wholly different thing.

OP
OP
slowmotion

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Looks like you took the comments badly - small token, militant lycra warrior, high dependency unit, 10 years after, big box, bad person etc. Thats pretty loaded.

Relax, it was addressing your original post of giving one particular nurse a gift that you had become familiar with over routine appointments to encourage her in cycling. If you said you were coming out of life threatening operation and wanted to show your appreciation with a box of chocolates to nurses as a group, it's a wholly different thing.
Brilliant precis...but what's your point exactly? All I wanted was a suggestion for a trivial gift.

I asked for a suggestion for a simple cycling gift. That's all. Lord knows, diamond necklaces are a whole lot easier.

Last edited:

monkers

Veteran
I'd suggest keeping the value under £10 in value. How about the Beryl Burton DVD? I think that could be seen as a token but thoughtful gift and she might find it inspirational.

LP came back in fashion 20 something years after they were sent into oblivion by more modern technology.

So yeah, op, buy her a dvd; she'll be enjoying it if and when they come back in fashion...in 2040

Brandane

Legendary Member
For God's sake, all I was thinking about was a multitool or a repair kit. Why do so many people want to turn it into some kind of ethical dilemma?
Your big mistake, IMHO, was to ask for an opinion on this forum. You've been around long enough to know that it's a strange church. I gave up long ago taking anything seriously in here. Too many extreme opinions about everything. Treat as light entertainment only to protect your sanity!

Top Bottom