A small present for a 56 year old beginner. Any suggestions?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
I meet a wonderful, highly qualified nurse several times a year for routine medical appointments. She mentioned today that she had recently started learning to ride a bike and was having lessons. She said that she was still pretty wobbly and a bit nervous. Can you think of a small cycling item that I could give her as a gift that might encourage her to persevere? I think she's more at the Pashley end of the spectrum at the moment, rather than Pinarello.

Thanks.
If she's based in London, a year's subscription to the London Cycling Campaign would give her discounts at a number of cycling shops and - probably more useful - access to the local LCC group and their rides.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Offer your services to fix her first puncture and show her how to do it.
What a great idea!

She wont be able to accept gifts off a patient and you might make her feel uncomfortable even though you have good intentions. Just wish her happy birthday.
I have given a small plant to the surgeon that operated on me, she seemed to like the gesture.
I have also given plenty of home baking and boxed chocolates to a team of radiology nurses that treated me: they loved the goods!
I guess if the present is of not much monetary value it can be accepted.

OP
OP
slowmotion

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Thank you to all the parishioners who have given me advice. I never realised that wanting to give a small token to a medic was such a minefield of etiquette.
From the little I know, she has just started to wobble about. She never expressed an interest in becoming a militant lycra warrior or going far from home. Anyway, thanks to all who have posted.
BTW, I gave the nurses of the High Dependency Unit at Hammersmith Hospital a big box of chocolates on the anniversary of my operation, for ten years after the event. I must be a very bad person.:okay:

When I first went to work in the Middle East it was awful, patients would try to give us all sorts of things and as we were a very - ahem! - multi-cultural environment, some staff members would not just accept stuff but actively solicit gifts.
Now that really WAS a minefield. It wasn't just boxes of chocs, fruit and a potted plant but I knew of someone who accepted a gold watch. Eventually limits were put in place, accepting more than token gifts without permission became a sackable offence and methods were worked out for tactful and acceptable ways of dealing with the gift giving in a culture that was very different to that which most of the professional staff came from ...

However, some years after that, in another hospital in a different part of the Middle East, where the 'gift' issue was not generally an issue that arose, as there were plenty of protocols in place for managing it, and the locals were more open to the outside world, I had an awkward moment.
I had to do a scan on a Sheikha (a minor princess) and all went well. Her maid came in to help her dress again, and as she and her entourage bustled out, her maid came up to me and stuffed something in a pocket of my uniform.
When they'd all gone, I turned to the consultant and said to him, ugh did you see that, the maid stuffed all the dirty tissues in my pocket. He said 'yes, ugh, do you want some gloves to take them out?' I said 'no, it's alright, I've got a t-shirt on under the top (they were like hip-length jackets) so I'll take it off, wash my hands, put a clean one o and deal with it later.' So I did, and I hung the 'jacket with someone else's dirty tissues in it' on the back of a chair. As I did so, the consultant started to push the chair out of the way then stopped. 'I don't think it's dirty tissues, Nora' he said.

I delved into the pocket. Wrapped in clean tissues was ... a great deal of money. We looked at each other. Then both said at the same time 'We have to report it'.
What a pity, and we did.
Never mind, the cash gifts office (or whatever it was called, it had an Arabic name) dealt with it and asked me what we would like for the department so I asked for a nice coffee machine and a set of crockery. Which was much appreciated by all the staff, we didn't have to go haring off to the canteen for a brew. But it was a sum of money that - although not lottery-level - even if divided between the two of us, would have made a big difference. Ah well.

For God's sake, all I was thinking about was a multitool or a repair kit. Why do so many people want to turn it into some kind of ethical dilemma?
Nobody's needs to try to 'turn it into an ethical dilemma' - a patient giving anything but the most trivial of gifts to a healthcare professional, on an individual basis, is a ready-made ethical dilemma which is best dealt with by simply not doing it.

OP
OP
slowmotion

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Nobody's needs to try to 'turn it into an ethical dilemma' - a patient giving anything but the most trivial of gifts to a healthcare professional, on an individual basis, is a ready-made ethical dilemma which is best dealt with by simply not doing it.
Tell that to the thousands of grateful patients who have bombarded the wards with chocolates after they left. Who would have thought that my beautifully wrapped Wilco ( entirely Economy ) repair kit would cause such a moral dilemma?

Tell that to the thousands of grateful patients who have bombarded the wards with chocolates after they left. Who would have thought that my beautifully wrapped Wilco ( entirely Economy ) repair kit would cause such a moral dilemma?
Yes, and as already stated, a token which is trivial, ephemeral and shareable, such as chocs, is acceptable. Something for an individual is not.

OP
OP
slowmotion

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Yes, and as already stated, a token which is trivial, ephemeral and shareable, such as chocs, is acceptable. Something for an individual is not.
In the "correct" world of the NHS, am I actually allowed to like her as a person? Should she be viewed as some kind of a VR feature?

In the "correct" world of the NHS, am I actually allowed to like her as a person? Should she be viewed as some kind of a VR feature?
Post number 28 in this thread gives the guidance issued by the RCN; similar guidance is given by their professional bodies to all healthcare workers.

Do you want to put her into an awkward, possibly embarrassing position?

If you do, buy her a 'private and personal' gift and be prepared for an awkward response or even a refusal to accept it.
If you don't, buy chocs or a fruit basket, and add a jokey card with a pic of bicycle and write 'I promise to mend your first puncture on presentation of this voucher' inside. It'll give everyone a laugh, they'll all like the chocs or the peaches, and she can take the card in whatever way she wants.

Top Bottom