A smart meter question.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dave7

Legendary Member
Due to an extension built some 30+ years ago our gas meter is in the side garden. It's also low down on the wall.
That was fine until I became an old fart. Now its hard work.
So.........as the meter is outside.......
A) can the smart meter be fitted inside ?
B) does it matter, as theoretically I won't need to look at it ?

Milkfloat

An Peanut
You should be able to get a smart meter if you really want one, but do you really want one, especially if it is not the new generation? In addition, how often do you look at your meter? I only look at it when I change supplier, so at most once a year when my fixed contract expires.

Once a Wheeler

…always a wheeler
My advice is to site the meter outside whenever possible. The utility companies will usually re-position it if you ask for it and pay the fee. Outside meters avoid all the hassle of having to be in when the meter is read and even smart meters do need checking from time to time: at least annually I would guess. You can paint the cabinet any colour you like, so camouflage skills are definitely in order.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
You should be able to get a smart meter if you really want one, but do you really want one, especially if it is not the new generation? In addition, how often do you look at your meter? I only look at it when I change supplier, so at most once a year when my fixed contract expires.
I check my meters every time they send me a bill... so four times a year. Their estimations can often be grossly out and I'd rather pay the actual amount of Gas and Electricity used.

As for your smart meter (@Dave7), regardless of where it's cited, the little wi-fi console can be put anywhere in the house you want it.

OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
I get regular requests......maybe 3 or 4 a year.
Its getting harder to kneel down and read it.......got another request today.
New generation for sure.

OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
My advice is to site the meter outside whenever possible. The utility companies will usually re-position it if you ask for it and pay the fee. Outside meters avoid all the hassle of having to be in when the meter is read and even smart meters do need checking from time to time: at least annually I would guess. You can paint the cabinet any colour you like, so camouflage skills are definitely in order.
Side garden is locked so I would still nee to be in.

OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
I check my meters every time they send me a bill... so four times a year. Their estimations can often be grossly out and I'd rather pay the actual amount of Gas and Electricity used.

As for your smart meter (@Dave7), regardless of where it's cited, the little wi-fi console can be put anywhere in the house you want it.
That's what I was hoping to read

Milkfloat

An Peanut
I ignore requests to read the meter - it does no real harm, if they tell me they want to put up the direct debit within the contract I say no.

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
Bulb keep sending me emails telling me they are ready to install a smart meter. Thanks but no thanks.

Every 3 months they send me an email asking me to send them the latest meter reading. This makes sure that I am up to date with reading and that i have full control of what I pay each month. It's a win win situation for me.

winjim

Smash the cistern

You don't even need the little console.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
That's what I was hoping to read
I'm unsure as to whether the console shows the meter reading though... somebody who actually has a smart meter will be able to tell you that

my mother's shows daily usage, but I've not fiddled with it that much to find out what else it displays. It seems a bit shoddy... press a button and not much happens, then five seconds after I've stopped pressing, something happens and it's not what was expected, then I can't work out how to get it back to its normal 'daily' display.

Last edited:
Top Bottom