A solution / bug fix for the grey squares / blocks / tile problem on Memory Map for Windows

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
All very interesting, I'm sure, but what is this thread doing on a cycling forum?
A subtle hint: It is software which I have been using for over 13 years to plan cycling routes for myself and over 250 fellow CycleChat members!

At least 2 other CC members have used my bodge to work around the same bug(s).

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Thread resurrection...

I think that Memory Map may finally have fixed the bug! I have tested the latest version of the software (v 6.3.4) for 30 minutes and so far the troublesome duplicated registry entries have not appeared! Just checked the release documentation, and it looks like it has been attended to, only 3 years after I found it for them... :laugh:

Last edited:
OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Ha - I went back into MM a few times today and then checked the registry file again. The number of entries has shot up since yesterday so I think the bug may NOT be fixed after all. MM are at least aware of it now, so hopefully they will fix their fix, if my suspicions turn out to be right!

gom

Über Member
Hmm .. Using 6.3.4 I'm seeing the same using:
reg query "HKCU\Software\memory-map\Memory-Map Navigator\DockingPaneLayouts\NormalLayout"

I was exchanging emails with MM suport at the beginning of March over the sorting issue that is mentioned several times in the change log snap you posted. This included a number of suggestions (quite good ones, but which alas didn't work), and finally a link to download a freshly-made build, which fixed things. So in my case I was pleased with the support I got

DavidT

Been frustrated by Memory Map for years, a Google search brought me here, and yes it works. I'd like to create a desktop key to be able to clean these out regularly but don't know how, any tips please ?
David

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Been frustrated by Memory Map for years, a Google search brought me here, and yes it works. I'd like to create a desktop key to be able to clean these out regularly but don't know how, any tips please ?
David
I had attached a file to my original post but that may have been lost when Shaun reorganised the two threads on the subject. I'll try again...

Save that file to your desktop and change its extension from ".txt" to ".reg".

When you use it it will warn you that it is risky. I explained that in the first post. Anyway, good luck!

Attachments

• MemMap_registry_reset.txt
    133 bytes · Views: 6
I've never had a problem with Memory Map. I have been using it since the very first issue on disc. I have the full set of 1:10,000, 1:25,000 and 1:50,000 maps plus all the National Park maps.
Never, ever seen any of the problems mentioned on here.
It could be that as mine is stand alone and not the downloaded version the problem won't occur.

Are we talking about the download version here? I use the software nearly every day and would be lost without it.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Are we talking about the download version here?
The first version I got came on a CDROM but over the years I updated it to each newer version by downloads.

It is possible that somehow a bug got introduced in a software build only used for download versions but that seems unlikely!

It is curious that your version is okay because there are hundreds of people online complaining of the same bugs.

Have you never updated it, or do you keep getting new disks?

I use the software nearly every day and would be lost without it.
Ha ha - yes, so would I - probably cycling aimlessly in circular loops round some obscure Yorkshire moor!

It is curious that your version is okay because there are hundreds of people online complaining of the same bugs.

Have you never updated it, or do you keep getting new disks?
Ha, well!
I'm not entirely sure that what I have is fully kosher.
Many years ago I was a member of a map club, and there was some "dealings" with the disks. I don't claim to understand it, but it seems that only a very small part of each disk was the map. The big chunk was the operating system, but that was the same on each disk. Somehow there was a sort of exchange set up whereby you bought one disk, as entry to the club, and you got the map bits off other disks in exchange. I've no idea if it was official, but the guy running it was a real whizz kid with these maps, so maybe he was involved with OS in some way. Think he's dead now!
I've never had any updates - again I don't understand; but no doubt there is something written in somewhere that wasn't transferable.
I initially bought into it for hill work, and the hills never change. Nowadays most of the roads are more or less up to date, but Google Earth helps with recent changes.
I thought that the disk system was now obsolete, and the only way to get new/up to date info was to subscribe to the on line system.
Guess I'll have to do that one day. I assumed the system was flawless; the disks always have been. The OS certainly knocks spots off other mapping systems. My wife still complains that I take paper maps to the smallest room!!!

DavidT

Thanks for the help.
Mine is CD-ROM purchased about 2005, I checked the on what I actually have running and it appears to have updated to a 2009 version.
I updated to Windows 10 from Windows 7 last year when Microsoft ceased supporting 7 and emailed Memory-Map to ask if my version would run on 10, they replied that it wouldn't and that I sound buy a new subscription. Needless to say, I didn't buy a new subscription and Memory-Map continued working just fine!

Top Bottom