A somewhat pointless change of fork shape or what !!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

screenman

Legendary Member
the reason for the whole diaderant forks (bates) and the curly stays (hetchins) lies in the fact that back in the day, racers were not permitted to display the manufacturers name on the bike (not sure why), which meant manufacturers had to come up with ways of making their bikes obvious if they won races…

As they say, you learn something new everday and that was it.

the reason for the whole diaderant forks (bates) and the curly stays (hetchins) lies in the fact that back in the day, racers were not permitted to display the manufacturers name on the bike (not sure why), which meant manufacturers had to come up with ways of making their bikes obvious if they won races…
That nicely explains the Raleigh Chopper too.

IMO it's yet another ploy to make bikes obviously "dated" and helps to shift new style bikes.
I'm a bit of a Luddite, preferring steel with curved forks etc. but, if you look through cycling mags over the past 10 years, you see countless examples of must have advances that benefit those seeking the marginal gains from racing
developments, but of no use to the leisure or utility rider.
It helps shift bikes and keeps the economy rolling. Or maybe I'm just an old fart who has become my Dad?

screenman

Legendary Member
IMO it's yet another ploy to make bikes obviously "dated" and helps to shift new style bikes.
I'm a bit of a Luddite, preferring steel with curved forks etc. but, if you look through cycling mags over the past 10 years, you see countless examples of must have advances that benefit those seeking the marginal gains from racing
It helps shift bikes and keeps the economy rolling. Or maybe I'm just an old fart who has become my Dad?

A luddite using the internet, is that not a contradiction^_^

Yep, you have certainly turned into your dad.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
There are times when that phrase means you are growing up and becoming more sensible.

Top Bottom