A Space Shuttle On The Streets Of Los Angeles

• Thread starter Deleted member 1258
  • Start date
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Brilliant - I would love to have watched that creeping past my house!

(I don't mean the house I live in - there's no way you would get a space shuttle down my narrow, cobbled street - I mean if I lived in one of those houses in LA! :thumbsup:)

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
Slightly less epic, but still as impressive, and in the days before elf and safety too!
(I've posted this before incidentally, I know):

View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OplHPw6axT0&sns=em

Actually, I think it shows the day and age of our country, because in the U.S. they get the shuttle flown in and then they drive a it down the street, taking down lamp posts, signs, pylons, trees etc beforehand just to get it through.

What do we do? We dismantle Concorde like a zarking Airfix kit!! :rolleyes:

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 1258

Slightly less epic, but still as impressive, and in the days before elf and safety too!
(I've posted this before incidentally, I know):

View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OplHPw6axT0&sns=em

Actually, I think it shows the day and age of our country, because in the U.S. they get the shuttle flown in and then they drive a it down the street, taking down lamp posts, signs, pylons etc beforehand to get it through.

What do we do? We dismantle Concorde like a zarking Airfix kit!! :rolleyes:

I like that, interesting to see the car being broken into.

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
And, being Manchester, it was cloudy.

.....And rainy..... And there weren't any 4x4s the size of small houses..... And you could still get a bottle of juice, a copy of the Beano, a few multi packs of Cola Chewits and a ride on the bus to school all for 40p, and still have change left over..... And......

Seriously though, it must have been a fairly impressive sight and I'm jealous that I wasn't old enough to see it when apparently it also flew over Glasgow.

Rezillo

TwoSheds
Bentwaters open day, some time in the early 80s. One of the flying display turns finished and there was a 10 minute gap in the programme for the next display. While people kept an eye on the runway for the aircraft to arrive, the only noise was a hubbub of chat from the crowd.

It was at this point that two Lightnings made a visit that was not in the programme. At little more than hangar height, low enough for their approach not to be heard until it was too late, they hurtled over the crowd from behind, taking everyone by surprise, engaged afterburners and slammed skywards vertically no more than 200m or so in front of us. Looking up, all you could see were the afterburners glowing yellow-orange and in seconds they were gone.

I have never heard anything like it. The noise was as if it had been carved out of granite and thrown at your body - completely visceral and overwhelming. As it faded, we were left with warm air fraganced with kerosene and the sound of a lot of small children crying! Absolutely stunning.

Top Bottom