A Space Shuttle On The Streets Of Los Angeles

• Thread starter Deleted member 1258
  • Start date
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
I posted the link up for the Lightning film without actually watching it, because I've seen it before. I just watched it there and the sound was shocking!

I have never had that problem before, so was it just my device or did anyone else have sound issues?

Herr-B

I don't live a million miles from the last home of the Lightning, I certainly miss them. :sad:

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
Bentwaters open day, some time in the early 80s. One of the flying display turns finished and there was a 10 minute gap in the programme for the next display. While people kept an eye on the runway for the aircraft to arrive, the only noise was a hubbub of chat from the crowd.

It was at this point that two Lightnings made a visit that was not in the programme. At little more than hangar height, low enough for their approach to be unheard until it was too late, they hurtled over the crowd from behind, taking everyone by surprise, engaged afterburners and slammed skywards vertically no more than 200m or so in front of us. Looking up, all you could see were the afterburners glowing yellow-orange and in seconds they were gone.

I have never heard anything like it. The noise was as if it had been carved out of granite and thrown at your body - completely visceral and overwhelming. As it faded, we were left with warm air fraganced with kerosene and the sound of a lot of small children crying! Absolutely stunning.

Nice story!

Rezillo

TwoSheds
I have more!

Around the same era, Mrs Rezillo and I were kicking our heels on Bawdsey quay, watching the river traffic go past. Close by was RAF Bawdsey, which was still active at the time and defended by a number of Bloodhound missiles.

It was a glorious summer's day. Behind us were a few houses with front gardens laid to lawn. On one of these was a group of elderly people seated at a picnic table laid out with an very elaborate tea - tiered cake stand (with cakes), teapots, china, the works. There was no-one else about and we were rather hoping we might get offered a cake but we weren't.

This summer idyll all changed in dramatic fashion when two jets screamed up the Deben estuary from the landward side at treetop height along the river - like the Lightnings, so low that there was almost no advance warning. I say 'almost' because I spotted them coming up the estuary a second or two before they arrived. A split second of colossal bass noise and high pitched scream as the planes passed us so close and low that it seemed as if we could reach out and touch them then they disappeared over the North sea. From Bawdsey, sirens could be heard wailing, too late for what was presumably a mock low level attack, and that was it.

We almost fell in the river in shock but behind us was an ominous clinking sound. The tea party members were all flat on their backs on the lawn with their legs in the air. Their chairs and table had collapsed, scattering cake and broken crockery far and wide. They weren't hurt, fortunately, but I don't think our chances of hoovering up any remaining cake were enhanced by us having a prolonged laughing fit.

Not sure what the planes were - not British or US and they may have had red crosses in their insignia.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Bentwaters open day, some time in the early 80s. One of the flying display turns finished and there was a 10 minute gap in the programme for the next display. While people kept an eye on the runway for the aircraft to arrive, the only noise was a hubbub of chat from the crowd.

It was at this point that two Lightnings made a visit that was not in the programme. At little more than hangar height, low enough for their approach to be unheard until it was too late, they hurtled over the crowd from behind, taking everyone by surprise, engaged afterburners and slammed skywards vertically no more than 200m or so in front of us. Looking up, all you could see were the afterburners glowing yellow-orange and in seconds they were gone.

I have never heard anything like it. The noise was as if it had been carved out of granite and thrown at your body - completely visceral and overwhelming. As it faded, we were left with warm air fraganced with kerosene and the sound of a lot of small children crying! Absolutely stunning.
Nice story!
I had a similar experience! :eek:

Arch

Married to Night Train
We almost fell in the river in shock but behind us was an ominous clinking sound. The tea party members were all flat on their backs on the lawn with their legs in the air. Their chairs and table had collapsed, scattering cake and broken crockery far and wide. They weren't hurt, fortunately, but I don't think our chances of hoovering up any remaining cake were enhanced by us having a prolonged laughing fit.

:rofl:

Colleague of mine used to live near Farnborough, and describes 'that' sound of a jet as 'noise you hear in your chest'.

And the film in the OP is cool. Although it makes me just a tiny bit sad. For a machine like that to end up crawling on a low loader and be displayed in a shed. I heard a reporter say she would 'live out her days' in LA, but it's not living is it, for a space ship...

I'm just sad that so many things that seemed to be The Future seem to have ended up scrapped.

Rezillo

TwoSheds
One more post on noisy plane stuff. I grew up in a house in Suffolk that was part divided into flats. On one side of us lived someone who I'll call Fred, head ploughman for the estate farm that dominated the village; below us was a flat that was rented out to a US major, nicknamed Lurch as he was six foot six, who was a Phantom pilot (and later on A10s) at Bentwaters.

We all knew each other's families and got on very well. Fred had what was then (early 70s) an unusual brand new Fordson tractor in that it had four large driving wheels, not the usual large/small traditional tractor layout. From the air, it was apparently quite distinctive for Lurch and even more so when Fred was ploughing the wide open fields of an abandoned WWII airfield just outside the village. Lurch thought it would be a good wheeze to fly past Fred at a modest height and check when he got home if he had been seen. This didn't work as even with some wing waggling, he just couldn't be seen or heard from Fred's cab.

Lurch then tried a subtle change of tack, which was to buzz him at very low level with afterburners on. Fred noticed that alright (I recall some very choice language when they met up in the evening after he did that for the first time) but after a number of such moves, someone complained to the base commander about the noise and he had to stop.

Arch

Married to Night Train
There were a couple of Typhoons over York last Friday morning. The noise was epic, the sort of thing I associate with a jet climbing hard on afterburners. But looking up, we could see them, seemingly practising dog fighting, and moving relatively slowly. Was it the damp air magnifying the sound perhaps? It was much louder than what we normally hear, several people stopped and looked up.

Top Bottom