A steadier pace

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

steve50

Disenchanted Member
Been out on the Raleigh again today and it suddenly occurred to me how much more leisurely the ride is, no lycra, no hurry, no racing through traffic.Just a nice steady pace due to the lower gearing and weight of the bike, those big 28" wheels are so roll resistant the bike just seems to carry on rolling forever.
So nice when I'm not in a big hurry to go anywhere just to plod along at a nice steady speed without a care in the world.:bicycle::smile:

ChrisV

Formerly CC2014
What bike is it?

ChrisEyles

Guru
I'm guessing it's gotta be a nice old Roadster... let's see a pic @steve50! If I'm right, I've got one myself and it's a lovely bike to take for a tootle around the lanes :smile:

Been out on the Raleigh again today and it suddenly occurred to me how much more leisurely the ride is, no lycra, no hurry, no racing through traffic.Just a nice steady pace due to the lower gearing and weight of the bike, those big 28" wheels are so roll resistant the bike just seems to carry on rolling forever.
So nice when I'm not in a big hurry to go anywhere just to plod along at a nice steady speed without a care in the world.:bicycle::smile:
Strava or it didn't happen.

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
It's funny, after weeks of riding exclusively on a road bike , I took my hybrid for a little pootle into town, 2 miles each way. On the way back the panniers were full of shopping, it was raining, my knees were hurting, the saddle was uncomfortable, and I couldn't stop hating the bike for how heavy and slow it felt. Maybe a nice day would have made all the difference, but I enjoyed it way less than I thought I would.

OP
OP
S

steve50

Disenchanted Member
I'm guessing it's gotta be a nice old Roadster... let's see a pic @steve50! If I'm right, I've got one myself and it's a lovely bike to take for a tootle around the lanes :smile:
There you go. @ChrisEyles @ChrisV 1991 Raleigh Pioneer, and how it looks now, https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/update-to-pioneer-project.206674/
DSC_0028.JPG

Strava or it didn't happen.
Whats that then? Strava has become pretty much a thing of the past, it spoils the enjoyment of the ride when you are trying to get pr's or koms, I just like to enjoy my bikes.

Last edited:

Slick

Guru
It's funny, after weeks of riding exclusively on a road bike , I took my hybrid for a little pootle into town, 2 miles each way. On the way back the panniers were full of shopping, it was raining, my knees were hurting, the saddle was uncomfortable, and I couldn't stop hating the bike for how heavy and slow it felt. Maybe a nice day would have made all the difference, but I enjoyed it way less than I thought I would.

Haha, that's exactly how I would feel. My enjoyment comes from either getting there as fast as possible or just getting a good workout.

OP
OP
S

steve50

Disenchanted Member
I got the raleigh mainly because my little lad likes to ride along the towpaths with me and the Boardman is a little too stiff for that sort of terrain, nonetheless I enjoy both my bikes whether I'm tootling along on the Raleigh or absolutely flying along the roads on my Boardman.

ChrisEyles

Guru

Not what I was expecting at all! But very smart, I like it :smile:

Top Bottom