A step too far?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cabbieman

Just booked 5 days near Exmoor next week and just noticed they have a 2007 tour of Britain cycle route of 60 miles available to ride. I know I could do this no problem. I'm averaging about 20-25 nightly 3 times a week and a 30 odd miler Saturday mornings. Did a 50 miler 2 months ago in 3.35 and my best so far was a 65 miler but that was last year. I haven't done a 100 miler yet but I know there is one around Exmoor as I've got it earmarked for some time in the future. Is the future to close to me at the moment? Do you think I could do a 100 miler considering my lack of big miles so far or maybe it's just a dream?
Do you think if I tried to squeeze in a 60-70 miler this week this would answer my question? Im not the fittest or youngest at 58 and 15 stone but my legs aren't bad and my ambition is positive
Honest opinions please. Don't want to get half way round and have to phone the wife. I'd never live it down

vickster

Legendary Member
You don’t have to rush round. Long days, you could pootle round at 10mph with proper breaks, lunch, tea (or is it a pretend race aka sportive)

Can you ride it with someone?

OP
OP
cabbieman

cabbieman

I find it difficult to pootle, takes too long. Maybe a touring holiday would be a pootle but over 1 day I think I would feel I wasn't trying hard enough.

Alan O

Über Member
Just booked 5 days near Exmoor next week and just noticed they have a 2007 tour of Britain cycle route of 60 miles available to ride. I know I could do this no problem. I'm averaging about 20-25 nightly 3 times a week and a 30 odd miler Saturday mornings. Did a 50 miler 2 months ago in 3.35 and my best so far was a 65 miler but that was last year. I haven't done a 100 miler yet but I know there is one around Exmoor as I've got it earmarked for some time in the future. Is the future to close to me at the moment? Do you think I could do a 100 miler considering my lack of big miles so far or maybe it's just a dream?
Do you think if I tried to squeeze in a 60-70 miler this week this would answer my question? Im not the fittest or youngest at 58 and 15 stone but my legs aren't bad and my ambition is positive
Honest opinions please. Don't want to get half way round and have to phone the wife. I'd never live it down
I think your chance of doing a 100 based on your record so far is pretty high, providing you are able to pace yourself - if you go at it like you'd ride a fast 50, you could hit the wall.

OP
OP
cabbieman

cabbieman

I think if I can pootle like vickster suggests but up it a little to maybe around 13 instead of my averages around 15, then I reckon I should do it. Slacking off a couple of mph an hour shouldnt feel like Im not trying but should be fast enough to satify myself

gbb

Legendary Member
Your 50 miler a couple months ago was, if I calculated correctly a little over 14mph average. That's not bad. What i found when trying to extend distance...as you will be when you do your 100, is to try to achieve say 12 or 13 mph average, the difference in effort will be quite noticeable...ie easier. Set you computer to average when you do a longer ride than normal and aim to be just below what's normal. I'm essence, don't try to bust it, relax and enjoy it instead.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
If you're doing 60+ mile rides now, 100 miles shouldn't be beyond you.
The only fly in the ointment might be if you're used to doing 60 miles on the flat as I'm going to assume that an Exmoor ride is going to be a bit hilly?

Take it steady, it isn't a race and plan to get some decent food on board during the ride.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Is Exmoor hilly?.
Not especially ... :whistle:

Porlock from Exmoor climb to Dunkery Beacon.jpg

If you usually cycle in the Alps or Andes!

pjd57

Veteran
Went up to something around 115 last Saturday.
Furthest if been before was high 60's.

But it was a flat route, and speed wasn't an issue.

With the miles you are doing , the step up should be ok.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
I'm guessing that Exmoor cycling is like the Peak District cycling we enjoy up here

No way I would do 100 mile Peak District rides. Just too hard to be enjoyable. If it's flatter then fair enough

What sort of climbing is the 100 mile route?

Top Bottom