A step too far?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dirk

If 6 Was 9

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Well I wish the OP luck. But if he's going to do 100 miles around Exmoor (so probably 10,000ft of climbing) he should have some sensible bail out options

We're all different but I cease to enjoy really hilly riding above 60 miles. I wouldn't do it...or I'd do some of the hilly bit and modify it so it had plenty of flat

Just looked at the Exmoor Beast sportive. 96 miles, 11,000ft climbing. The routes probably tricked up a bit but it's clearly very hilly. So my advice stands...by all means have a go but make sure you have sensible bail out options. 100 miles in that terrain is very different from a flat 100

Last edited:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I dipped in and out of Exmoor on my Devon holiday last autumn. Here's a map and profile of one of the rides that I did. (The steep climb mid-way was from Minehead up onto the top of Exmoor. The photograph that I posted earlier was taken about 3/4 of the way up.)

Exmoor ride.png

Lovely cycling country if you like hills, but awful if you don't! :okay:

Tizme

Veteran
I would second what ColinJ said, I love it and hate long flat roads, give me a hill to climb any day (not that I am any good, just like the grinding challenge:rolleyes:), but I am sure lots of people would think it hell on earth.

There are coffee stops in Lynton/Lynmouth and Porlock, (which is a lovely village - but has hard climbs in and out. Go up the Toll Road out of Porlock (towards Lynmouth) for a really good climb with little traffic, or go on the killer climb of the main road and struggle along with the cars pulling caravans!
Whatever you do, enjoy the ride!

OP
OP
cabbieman

cabbieman

My current rides average around 1500 ft for around 25 miles. The 50 miler I did a couple of months ago was 2500 ft. The Exmoor route I've chosen is about 9000ft for the 100 miles so I guess it's about 3 x as hilly as my average. If I don't go mad then it shouldn't be too bad. I'm not afraid of the hills, then again I'm not fast either.

OP
OP
cabbieman

cabbieman

I would second what ColinJ said, I love it and hate long flat roads, give me a hill to climb any day (not that I am any good, just like the grinding challenge:rolleyes:), but I am sure lots of people would think it hell on earth.

There are coffee stops in Lynton/Lynmouth and Porlock, (which is a lovely village - but has hard climbs in and out. Go up the Toll Road out of Porlock (towards Lynmouth) for a really good climb with little traffic, or go on the killer climb of the main road and struggle along with the cars pulling caravans!
Whatever you do, enjoy the ride!

I'm coming out of porlock camping site

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
My current rides average around 1500 ft for around 25 miles. The 50 miler I did a couple of months ago was 2500 ft. The Exmoor route I've chosen is about 9000ft for the 100 miles so I guess it's about 3 x as hilly as my average. If I don't go mad then it shouldn't be too bad. I'm not afraid of the hills, then again I'm not fast either.
Take it very steady and give yourself plenty of stops. Eat and drink plenty. Make sure you have a bail out strategy (because it is a serious challenge for anyone)
Good luck!

OP
OP
cabbieman

cabbieman

Take it very steady and give yourself plenty of stops. Eat and drink plenty. Make sure you have a bail out strategy (because it is a serious challenge for anyone)
Good luck!

Good advice nickyboy but I'm gonna have to wing it. The wife and friends will be off to the beach/sightseeing somewhere whilst I'm out enjoying/playing. I'll split it into 3 stops at 25 mile intervals. It'll give my bum a rest and a good opportunity to eat cake

Alan O

Über Member
That's definitely a challenge, but if you pace it, have those stops every 25 miles, and be sure to eat and drink enough... you can do it! :okay:

Tizme

Veteran
I'm coming out of porlock camping site

In that case you'll be going up hill whichever way you go:ohmy:

If the weather holds it will be pretty hot, but hopefully you'll get a sea breeze on the road to Lynmouth. Unless you are really brave don't take the road from Lynmouth to Lynton, it's around a 30% climb!

si_c

Guru
I'd say it's definitely doable, but you really need to make sure you pace yourself properly and allow enough time to do it. I live in the Cheshire flatlands and would expect to do a 50 miler in around 2 1/2 to 3 hours, with about 1500ft of climbing. Last year I did the same distance in Yorkshire, with 1800m of climbing, took me a touch under 5 hours - climbing disproportionately extends the time required to do a given distance - so plan to be out longer than you expect to be.

Make sure you have plenty of water and food with you and I'm sure you'll have a blast.

OP
OP
cabbieman

cabbieman

In that case you'll be going up hill whichever way you go:ohmy:

If the weather holds it will be pretty hot, but hopefully you'll get a sea breeze on the road to Lynmouth. Unless you are really brave don't take the road from Lynmouth to Lynton, it's around a 30% climb!

I'll try and avoid that 30%. 7% is comfortable, 11% know it, 15% just about. 30%! Never in a month of Sunday's.

cabbieman, I live on the coast just down from Minehead. It is an amazing area to cycle, but do take it easy fella, it is VERY hilly.

You know, the sort that, half way up the next grind, makes you think "why didn't I take up snooker?", until you reach the top, take in the glorious views and enjoy the blast downhill.....before the next climb....and watch out for the Exmoor ponies and cattle/sheep, they "own" the roads up there.

Top Bottom