A stiff chain link

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Wester

Guru
I have just fitted a chain to my bike which I took from another bike and when it goes over the jockey wheel it jumps and there is a clicking sound which I guess is being caused by a stiff link in the chain

How do I get the chain to run smoothly also can a stiff link do damage if not sorted out ?

OP
OP
Wester

Wester

Guru
The chain is also in good condition

Rooster1

I was right about that saddle
I've had this before and it's very annoying. It is sometimes, but not always, the installation link, as in the one used to connect the chain when installed but it can be random.
The best remedy I had was to insert a thin screw driver into the chain at the point of the sticky link and twist it laterally.
The chain will still be on the bike so it is a bit fiddly. It may take a couple of attempts to get it freed up and they can be mighty stubborn.
Lots of lubrication after and it should make this better.

Thats my best advice

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Some chain tools have a link unstiffening setting. I've only done it once so I can't remember how to do it. You need to refer to the chain tool instructions.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
Locate the stiff link and then bend it gently back and forth ACROSS the way it's meant to flex.

This - I have never had to get overly physical with a simple stiff link. An this is coming from someone whose favourite tools are sledgehammers and recip saws.

Top Bottom