A Stuck Valve Cap

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
This sorry tale reminds me of something that happened to my son recently with his first car.

On my old 4x4 I run some metal dustcaps that I saved from my Merc vans when I was in the transport game. I have always used these for off-road games because the plastic ones can get damaged when thrutching around in mud, rocks and gravel, resulting in damaged threads and/or mud in the valve. These are now getting on for two decades old so have dulled, tarnished and been fitted/removed multiple times and reached a base equilibrium state where they are unlikely to deteriorate much further as the quality has endowed them with a long life expectancy that isn't often found these days.

My son wanted to replicate this on his car, but I told him to save his money as there was more pressing things that needed doing to his car before he started wasting money on such minor things.
Obviously, due to the impatience of youth etc, he ignored my advice and bought a set of metal dustcaps from the tinterweb. They weren't very expensive and were made of top quality Chineseium which was plenty shiny! I said they would get nicked, indeed I had suffered the same fate as a youngster and the local scrote kids had benefitted from my generosity by providing some blingy dustcaps for their bikes on more than one occasion!

Turns out I was wrong because he lives in an area adjacent to a nuclear facility which is policed by armed officers, so actually crime of any kind is nearly non-existent :laugh:

However, during a visit home we did some maint on his car and when it came time to check his tyre pressures he discovered a serious fault with his lovely dustcaps...... Yep, stuck fast! Some came off with pliers, but on two of them the valve just turned in the rim. One of those came undone when the valve stem was held by a second pair of pliers, but the final one just would not budge, even to the point that the rubber was stripped from the valve stem and it took a solid grip on the brass valve stem to finally remove the cap, followed by a trip to the nearest tyre bay for a new valve....

He learned a lesson that day. Cheap tat isn't worth the money it costs, regardless of how cheap it is. Buy quality or pay the price!

Anyway, back to the OP. What colour are your lovely dustcaps? :whistle:

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Why have dust caps anyway? The weight penalty is horrendous.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Vaguely related ... Some years ago I got a flat tyre on my car. I pumped it up and drove to the local dodgy tyre geezer. He noticed that the wheel in question had a mis-matching dust cap, a really long pointy one. I must have somehow picked it up by mistake at a garage after topping up the air. Anyhow the dodgy geezer told me that said long pointy dust caps are not for cars, but vans or something, and all that long pointiness spinning around had done a mischief to my valve. Whether it was true or not I don't know, but he fixed my wheel for a few sovs and all was well.

I dealt with a siezed valve retaining nut using 2 pairs of pliers. I had to borrow some from a villiage garage workshop.

Top Bottom