A taste of 2012

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
The first 2012 test event is taking place this week with the three day eventing in Greenwich park. I usually cut through the park but this route is blocked. Morning rush hour through Greenwich between the A2 and the one way system has been terrible all week.

I am looking forward to the Olympics but I do worry that when the circus comes to town London will grind to a halt as this is just one event causing localised traffic issues.

XmisterIS

Purveyor of fine nonsense
I'm glad I don't live in London!

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
That's odd. I cycled through the park yesterday and the police were letting bikes through - with an admonishment to cycle considerately - when there weren't any horses crossing the road (there was a show jumping event going on at the top of the hill but the stables appear to be at the bottom by the main arena. Horses were being led down the west side of the road where there is soft ground - this meant them having to cross the road twice).

But if it's slow going through the park and the one way system you might be better off coming down Crooms Hill or Hyde Vale. That way you can sidestep the delays.

mr_cellophane

Legendary Member
For those who use the Greenway between Victoria Park and Stratford.
The View Tube will be closed for 5 months before, during and after the Games. I would guess that the Greenway will also be closed at the same time.

What with the express routes for VIP's which all other vehicles will be banned and pedestrian crossings are also being removed from these routes, London will become a gridlocked no go area for locals. So we can't get to the Games, won't be able to get around London and are paying for the privilege !

OP
OP
Beebo

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
That's odd. I cycled through the park yesterday and the police were letting bikes through - with an admonishment to cycle considerately - when there weren't any horses crossing the road (there was a show jumping event going on at the top of the hill but the stables appear to be at the bottom by the main arena. Horses were being led down the west side of the road where there is soft ground - this meant them having to cross the road twice).

But if it's slow going through the park and the one way system you might be better off coming down Crooms Hill or Hyde Vale. That way you can sidestep the delays.

My route takes me through the side gate on Maze Hill which is closed to everyone, even pedestrians.

Maze Hill road was badly congested, I will try Croomes Hill tomorrow.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
I just spotted this on 853's local blog: It's got to be the most idiotic sign ever seen in Greenwich Park.

park_crap.jpg

martint235

Dog on a bike
My route takes me through the side gate on Maze Hill which is closed to everyone, even pedestrians.

Maze Hill road was badly congested, I will try Croomes Hill tomorrow.

Obviously you don't cycle through this gate or the immediate pathway inside the park where it says no cycling...........
whistling.gif

asterix

Comrade Member
If I was Lord Mayor (and I should be) I'd do everything possible to get people onto bikes in preparation for the event. Since I am not Lord Mayor I shall sulk and watch it from France.

martint235

Dog on a bike
Of course I get off and walk for the 5 metres between the gate and bollards, just like everyone else. ;)

Disgraceful law breakers going through that gate. It's not like there isn't a perfectly good and legal road that runs through Blackheath gate...
whistling.gif

Brains

Legendary Member
To be fair, the 'max 5mph' is on the uphill cycle lane.
Given that this road drops some 100m over the distance of about 500m doing more than 5mph uphill is only possible for those in the red spotted jerseys

However if they intend on limiting the downhill to 5mph they have got to be joking, even on rollerblades you will be doing 20mph

martint235

Dog on a bike
Given that this road drops some 100m over the distance of about 500m doing more than 5mph uphill is only possible for those in the red spotted jerseys

However if they intend on limiting the downhill to 5mph they have got to be joking, even on rollerblades you will be doing 20mph

I regularly have my speedo showing 10mph on the way up there. Plus the 5mph is currently in force in both directions.

I assume it all stops tomorrow anyway and we go back to the usual, completely ignored, 20mph.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker

It's not actually. The photo is from the downhill section. A bunch of CycleChatters just went down past them - wryly noting that the descending cycle lane has been removed so you can't even cycle in it. The only cycle lane is on the uphill side. And if up and down have to share a narrow cycle lane with pedestrians on the pavement, 5 mph would be a reasonable speed - for an unreasonable situation, that is. Still, once they've got the punctuation right, it'll be a really useful sign.

Globalti

Legendary Member
It's not actually. The photo is from the downhill section. A bunch of CycleChatters just went down past them - wryly noting that the descending cycle lane has been removed so you can't even cycle in it. The only cycle lane is on the uphill side. And if up and down have to share a narrow cycle lane with pedestrians on the pavement, 5 mph would be a reasonable speed - for an unreasonable situation, that is. Still, once they've got the punctuation right, it'll be a really useful sign.

*yawn* what is this "traffic" you write about? Do we get any up here in Lancashire?

forest_of_bowland_traffic_jam.jpg

Top Bottom