A thread for stitchers, crafters, and makers

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Speicher

Vice Admiral
I would like to start making things like these. Unless I have three pairs of hands, the placing of buttons and calculating the size is very tricky. Although I have lovely neighbours, none of them are sewers :blush: seamstresses. Yes this is a loom pattern but the fabric and style are the same.

il_1140xN.1693873034_dm71.jpg

6f2fd0dd72ba61389668c45ac19dc220.jpg

Last edited:

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
I would like to start making things like these. Unless I have three pairs of hands, the placing of buttons and calculating the size is very tricky. Although I have lovely neighbours, none of them are sewers :blush: seamstresses. Yes this is a loom pattern but the fabric and style are the same.

View attachment 719458

View attachment 719459

They look fabulous. Good luck

Alex321

Veteran
I have a question for the people on here who do sewing, particularly clothes. Have you got a dress form/tailor's dummy.

I am thinking of getting one, and would like your opinions before buying one. This is the sort I am thinking about.

https://jaycotts.co.uk/collections/dummies/products/dress-form_supafit

My wife has one similar to tat but in black. She has had it as long as I've known her (we have been married for 43 years), and used to use it regularly when she was making clothes for the family. She rarely makes clothes nowadays, so it doesn't get all that much use any more, but still occasionally.

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
I was wondering the same myself but then I considered the amount of crap I've bought as a cyclist. Did I really need the disc brakes? Bombproof wheels? World class rear rack? Nope. Did I want them anyway? Yep!
As a male sewer sewist my options are somewhat limited and the prices are a little steep but when I consider what I've spent on bikes and components over the years, it's nothing.
I say go for it.

When I used to do A LOT of sewing, for others as well as myself, I had a posh 'adjustable' one. It was very useful indeed - especially for that seemingly-most-simple of things, hemlines. I sold it when I gave up my business, then when I was only sewing for myself, I made - with the help of a friend - a 'body double' out of clingfilm, ducttape and expanding foam filler. Great fun to make! If you mount it on the base of an old adjustable office chair it's even better. Then dress it in your old clotges inc a floor length skirt, stick a balloon in its neck and a scarf or shawl over its 'head' and you can give folks a fright!
The finished 'item' was a bit annoying as it wasn't as pinnable as the commercial one, and I had to handle it more carefully, but its likeness to me was uncanny especially in odd places like the shoulders, so excellent to see how things hung on me instead of on the hanger.

biketrailerguy

Retired now and currently messing around with bits of wire - although I've done other things in the past - including making 3D / multi layer jigsaws for several years to put bread (well, the occasional crumb) on the table.

As mentioned elsewhere on the forum, I built my folding trailer for skip diving activities - this was made from 0.9mm steel strands from SWA cable liberated from a skip. Low scrap value (compared with copper) so no problems relocating it to my bike / trailer :smile:

The base is a bit of stuff left over from the puzzle days, btw.

Attachments

• Fish on yew.jpg
    Fish on yew.jpg
    121.8 KB · Views: 11

Jemps

Retired now and currently messing around with bits of wire - although I've done other things in the past - including making 3D / multi layer jigsaws for several years to put bread (well, the occasional crumb) on the table.

As mentioned elsewhere on the forum, I built my folding trailer for skip diving activities - this was made from 0.9mm steel strands from SWA cable liberated from a skip. Low scrap value (compared with copper) so no problems relocating it to my bike / trailer :smile:

The base is a bit of stuff left over from the puzzle days, btw.

Nice work!

welsh dragon

My latest decoupage item. A recycled bottle covered in rice paper, then I decided to experiment with temproary tattoos Instead of paper napkins.

I do like the effect on the bottle. All I need to do now is to wait until it dries, then coat it with 2 or 3 coats of matt varnish.

I have rope to add to the top of the bottle and string lights Inside so the bottle can be used as a light bottle.

20240319_111620~2.jpg

Saw a wood carving kit, cabled power tools, in Aldi for £12.95. Hmmm! I had a dream in which I'd taken up wood carving with dremel like tools like this one about a month ago. That tool seems quite a cheap way to give it a go. Just what else is needed I'm not sure.

lazybloke

Considering a new username
My latest decoupage item. A recycled bottle covered in rice paper, then I decided to experiment with temproary tattoos Instead of paper napkins.

I do like the effect on the bottle. All I need to do now is to wait until it dries, then coat it with 2 or 3 coats of matt varnish.

I have rope to add to the top of the bottle and string lights Inside so the bottle can be used as a light bottle.

View attachment 724915

Beautiful roses - are they the temp tattoos?
Wife and i did some decoupage a few years back, mostly on things for the kids, photo frames, etc.

I like the concept of lights showing through.

welsh dragon

Beautiful roses - are they the temp tattoos?
Wife and i did some decoupage a few years back, mostly on things for the kids, photo frames, etc.

I like the concept of lights showing through.
Yes they are. I usually use paper napkins but I saw someone on Facebook using them so decided to give them a go.

Top Bottom