A thread for stitchers, crafters, and makers

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
Looks very neat.
Thanks.

A lot of the knitting I do is destined for charity - mainly Knit for Peace.
I greatly admire the beautiful items which are donated to them, and from which they make their selection for their Twitter feed 'knit of the day'.
Ah well, I tell myself, the stuff I make is functional above all, so people won't be worried about using it. Nevertheless, I can't deny I've a slight feeling of envy for the skill levels held by those who produce the wonderful items featured in 'knit (or crochet) of the day'.
So I was surprised beyond belief when someone at my knitting group - who is a much keener follower of social media than me - told me that my latest donation was 'knit of the day' at the beginning of last month! I went and checked on their twitter feed and yes, there are my three lap blankets in pride of place, No, I'm not going to link to it, I prefer to promote the work of the charity by making you look at their website more generally - and twitter feed if you're really interested!

Following on from @EltonFrog and patchwork. I regularly peruse Pinterest, and found this for a patchwork skirt. I have a fair amount of cotton fabric in small amounts, and will try this. Would it look okay with a top made all in the same fabric as one of the panels, not a patchwork top as such? :scratch:

https://www.pinterest.co.uk/pin/985231157227133/
I think it'd look better with a plainish top, it'd set off the skirt nicely.

Speicher

Vice Admiral
A lot of the knitting I do is destined for charity - mainly Knit for Peace.
I greatly admire the beautiful items which are donated to them, and from which they make their selection for their Twitter feed 'knit of the day'.
Ah well, I tell myself, the stuff I make is functional above all, so people won't be worried about using it. Nevertheless, I can't deny I've a slight feeling of envy for the skill levels held by those who produce the wonderful items featured in 'knit (or crochet) of the day'.
So I was surprised beyond belief when someone at my knitting group - who is a much keener follower of social media than me - told me that my latest donation was 'knit of the day' at the beginning of last month! I went and checked on their twitter feed and yes, there are my three lap blankets in pride of place, No, I'm not going to link to it, I prefer to promote the work of the charity by making you look at their website more generally - and twitter feed if you're really interested!

Thank you for that link, very interesting. I looked at their patterns. This one is on the Ravelry site, and I have used it at least three or four times for jumpers. Once you know how to knit "top down" it is so much easier to adjust for size and length. Also much less sewing of seams, except if the sleeves are very narrow.
https://www.knitforpeace.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/Simple_Summer_Tweed_V-Neck-with_pix1.pdf

Speicher

Vice Admiral
If it's the same pattern as one of those in the skirt, that'd be fine, too.

That is what I meant. ^_^To use one of the fabrics in the skirt for a top.

welsh dragon

Just for a change, Instead of a plain bowl I've wrapped it with cotton fabric with foxes on it

Attachments

• 20221230_122857.jpg
    20221230_122857.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 4
  • 20221230_123038.jpg
    20221230_123038.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 5

welsh dragon

I was just thinking about your bowls today. It's something I might try with my new sewing machine. I'll have to look out for some cord. I assume it's best to start with something flat (and small!) like a coaster.

Def start with a coaster. I make them around 4 inches in diameter. You can make place mats as well for plates. Good luck

I was just thinking about your bowls today. It's something I might try with my new sewing machine. I'll have to look out for some cord. I assume it's best to start with something flat (and small!) like a coaster.
Coasters are great fun, useful and above all else, easy. I have used both piping cord and clothes line to make different types of mats, bowls and other 'storage solutions'. The cord needs to be not so thick that the presser foot is held all the way up - about

You might want to reserve your first couple of efforts for use in the garden, workshop or shed - but you'll soon be comfortable with making them and after place mats, you can even make bathmats, bedside rugs, table pads and boot and wellie mats. All before you even start exploring beyond 'flat' things. Making oval things is only a tiny bit more fiddly than making circular things.
There are quite a lot of good you-tube videos - search 'clothesline rope coasters' or 'rope bowls' which offer useful hints and tips, but once you've got the general idea, you'll be away and running! I always use a denim needle in my machine. when working with rope.
Starting off can be a bit awkward as you need to find a way to keep the presser foot as level as possible.

Top Bottom