A thread for stitchers, crafters, and makers

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

annedonnelly

Girl from the North Country
Having finally found a knitting group which doesn't discriminate against those of us who use machines, two prospective new members said this morning 'oh look a knitting machine, that's cheating'.
I am afraid I turned round (yes they said it loudly behind my back) looked them up and down and said loudly, 'How did you get here this morning?'
'On the bus' they replied, looking puzzled at the question.
'Why did you use a machine to get here when your legs appear to function perfectly well? Did you sew all your clothes by hand or did you buy them? Why is that not cheating but using a knitting machine is?'
They were clearly nonplussed, maybe they only meant it as a joke - probably they did - but I am sick of 'jokes' at the expense of others (in this case myself). I happen to greatly enjoy using a knitting machine, and would use it regardless - but I would love to be able to knit by hand again without exacerbating the damage wrought by a combination of old injuries and old age ...

Disappointed - but no-one else remarked on my outburst as everyone else is aware that using a machine is very far from cheating and in fact can be quite a steep learning curve - the group organiser herself is trying to learn how to use one as she has ME and can only knit by hand for short periods.

Thanks for letting me whinge!

Hmm, I imagined a knitting machine as a large table-sized thing. I don't imagine you're taking that to a group. I guess your knitting machine is a bit smaller than that. Do you have a pic?

I hope you don't get black-balled from the group!

Alex321

Veteran
Hmm, I imagined a knitting machine as a large table-sized thing. I don't imagine you're taking that to a group. I guess your knitting machine is a bit smaller than that. Do you have a pic?

My mother in law had several knitting machines, which my wife inherited. When not in use, they pack away into a case about 6" wide by 3" deep by about 3' long, with a carrying handle.

I sympathise; I used to get similar comments although the other way around in carpentry when I insisted on using hand tools (in my own time) when there were perfectly good machines in the next room. I'd use machines for work, but when I'm working for me, it's no-one else's business what methods I choose to use.

I totally get that. Time is money. But when you're doing something for yourself, there's a certain satisfaction to be gained by doing it what is, really, the harder way.

Speicher

Vice Admiral
I made a blouse, a very long time ago, but it is now too small to be comfortable. This is the effect I will be aiming for. I had thought about just adding a small section in the centre front and back. The original garment is orangey colours, and I will be using other fabric offcuts in a similar way to this picture.

One source of excellent fabric in a non-spendy way is to buy Maxi skirts, nearly new, from a Charity shop. which gives oodles of fabric.

https://www.pinterest.co.uk/pin/346425396350446974/

1667572182001.png

Some of them (eg the later Passaps) indeed are large, table or desk sized things.

Most of them, though, are about a metre long, several inches wide and deep, and store, and are carried in, a case which also holds the tools, carriages etc. They need to be clamped onto a sturdy table or wide shelf for use.

Metal-bed machines are heavy, solid things, weighing 20 - 30 kgs or more, but the plastic-bed machines are considerably lighter weight - only a few kgs - and some of them - such as the one I take to the knitting group - actually fold or are split into two pieces, to make transport and storage easier.

I won't get banned from the group - the leader is trying to learn to use a km, as is one of the long-standing members, and I am a valuable resource for the quick knitting of long strips and panels for yarn-bombing purposes!

I sympathise; I used to get similar comments although the other way around in carpentry when I insisted on using hand tools (in my own time) when there were perfectly good machines in the next room. I'd use machines for work, but when I'm working for me, it's no-one else's business what methods I choose to use.

I've had comments 'the other way', too. That was very odd. I went to a wool shop which was having a Spinners day, with different fleeces to try, some people from the Spinners Guild demonstrating different wheels etc. I love spinning - on a spindle.

A woman commented mockingly on my spindle as I wandered around the display spinning up bits of fleece here and there; I made it perfectly clear that I spin for my own pleasure and had - still have - not the slightest interest or desire in using a wheel. I mentioned that I liked the pocket size and portability of a spindle and that I couldn't imagine using a spinning wheel on a bus but I often used a spindle in park-and-draw mode when using public transport.
A bit later, I was in the area where people were knitting and spinning and there was some finished, ready-to-use wool for sale. I was looking at some but as I said to the seller, the colour I liked was too thin to use in my bulky-gauge knitting machine.
'Knitting machine!' commented the spindle-mocking woman from earlier, who seemed to be everywhere at the same time (she was one of the organisers) almost spitting in disparagement. 'Why on earth do you want to use one of those things for?'
'Probably for a similar reason that you use a spinning machine, I should think, don't you?' I said sweetly. 'I spin by hand and knit by machine; you spin by machine and knit by hand ...'

HUMPH! she snorted and stalked off ...

I've had sympathetic comments from other knitters on a crafting forum I frequent.

One said that she attended a knitting group with her 3-D printed CSM (circular sock machine) and was - like me - openly called a cheat. She pulled her left hand from her pocket where it is generally tucked all of the time when she is among strangers, held up her arm in its withered, twisted glory (burns and severe injury, I don't know the details) and asked if that was enough to excuse her from cheating as it was certainly enough to allow her to compete in the paralympics ...
Silence ensued.
BTW she doesn't compete in the paralympics - but her level of disability is apparently such that she could if she were good enough at a particular sport ... knitting maybe? LOL!

Mind you, I've also had disparaging comments from other machine knitters, as the machine I mostly use is a very simple one - and so that's not good enough, either.

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
A first first for me. I've made rope bowls and coasters and place mats before, but today I used fabric wrapped round the rope just to make it a bit different. I quite like the look.

20221105_121557.jpg

20221105_121530.jpg

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
This talk of knitting up thread, reminds me that I was given some knitting kit a couple of years ago for a birthday, and never really touched it. I’m going to revisit it and see if I can muster up some enthusiasm for it.

I need a goal, something to knit, relatively simple but functional. Not a scarf .

annedonnelly

Girl from the North Country
This talk of knitting up thread, reminds me that I was given some knitting kit a couple of years ago for a birthday, and never really touched it. I’m going to revisit it and see if I can muster up some enthusiasm for it.

I need a goal, something to knit, relatively simple but functional. Not a scarf .

The only knitting I do is dishcloths - they're functional :-)

Top Bottom