A thread for stitchers, crafters, and makers

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
So, dear reader, what do you do with the spare material and off cuts that have accumulated from different projects?

Why, you make another shirt of course.

Ladies & Gentlemen, I give you The Shirt That Went Wrong!

320BA048-8D34-42F4-B574-00C6904F4D58.jpeg

72E3CCB6-2174-4A06-BCA8-D343F41523CE.jpeg

94F3FD1D-245F-41BF-B623-8F45053528D4.jpeg

58C4D674-E2E2-4392-B33E-DF79DCE669FC.jpeg

F8624179-1207-405F-8DE7-C43D30284C48.jpeg

6B71056F-AD28-4D23-8395-7EDB7FF92C70.jpeg

C16039C9-D982-429F-B57C-52CF478C7326.jpeg

BFD0FA5D-DBE9-4E98-B2F4-5D869263FBC4.jpeg

747C91A8-E98B-446B-913F-1936A450E739.jpeg

Last edited:

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
So, dear reader, what do you do with the spare material and off cuts that have accumulated from different projects?

Why, you make another shirt of course.

Ladies & Gentlemen, I give you The Shirt That Went Wong!

View attachment 666691

View attachment 666692

View attachment 666693

View attachment 666694

View attachment 666695

View attachment 666696

View attachment 666697

View attachment 666698

View attachment 666699

Well. Its certainly well made......and err colourful:laugh:

The 'fancyback' shirt (plain collar, cuffs and front, with back, yoke, and sleeves in different prints ... ) was what got me into men's shirtmaking some years ago when I was frankly shocked at the prices being asked for such things - and the price my SO was seriously considering paying for one!

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
The 'fancyback' shirt (plain collar, cuffs and front, with back, yoke, and sleeves in different prints ... ) was what got me into men's shirtmaking some years ago when I was frankly shocked at the prices being asked for such things - and the price my SO was seriously considering paying for one!

I have learned a lot doing this, having never done anything like it before a few weeks ago, not least of which is how long it takes! I’d never be able to make a living out of it, just at minimum wage that shirt would cost nearly 200 quid in man hours alone!

I have learned a lot doing this, having never done anything like it before a few weeks ago, not least of which is how long it takes! I’d never be able to make a living out of it, just at minimum wage that shirt would cost nearly 200 quid in man hours alone!

Well I've been dressmaking since I was 12, as pleasure-loving teens and students, our routine was to nip to the market on Thursday, buy a couple of yards (in the days of miniskirts/dresses, a yard was ample!) of fabric, cut out on Thursday night, 'run it up' on Friday night or Saturday morning, and wear it to the pub/disco/party/band on the Saturday night.

My aunty was a trained/apprenticed 'tailoress' and my mum a very good dressmaker, so I had a good grounding and one of my clearest memories from my childhood is sitting on my mum's lap while she treadled the Singer and allowed me to guide fabric through the machine. I was sewing myself as soon as my legs were long enough to reach the treadle! However skilled and practiced one is, though, actually sewing at a machine is hard, unrelenting work which is still being done for literally pennies all over the world - which is how we can, nowadays, buy clothing at such low financial cost to us - but at what cost to the environment, and to the people employed to do such work.

We must never, ever forget Rana Plaza ...

That's the thing about any craft-type work - in my case, painting, sewing and scratch modelling.

We do it because it's fun, because we enjoy it, because it's relaxing, and yes, you learn loads of stuff too. But it's the time you put into it that people just don't get... I'd hate to think how many hours I've already put into my 1:10 scale Superstox model - and how many more hours I still need to put into it to get it finished.

simongt

Guru
Some years ago when shirts with different colour collars were the in thing, I said to a bloke wearing one said example; 'Whassup, couldn't you afford the rest of the shirt - ?'
He was not amused - ! :rofl:

Having finally found a knitting group which doesn't discriminate against those of us who use machines, two prospective new members said this morning 'oh look a knitting machine, that's cheating'.
I am afraid I turned round (yes they said it loudly behind my back) looked them up and down and said loudly, 'How did you get here this morning?'
'On the bus' they replied, looking puzzled at the question.
'Why did you use a machine to get here when your legs appear to function perfectly well? Did you sew all your clothes by hand or did you buy them? Why is that not cheating but using a knitting machine is?'
They were clearly nonplussed, maybe they only meant it as a joke - probably they did - but I am sick of 'jokes' at the expense of others (in this case myself). I happen to greatly enjoy using a knitting machine, and would use it regardless - but I would love to be able to knit by hand again without exacerbating the damage wrought by a combination of old injuries and old age ...

Disappointed - but no-one else remarked on my outburst as everyone else is aware that using a machine is very far from cheating and in fact can be quite a steep learning curve - the group organiser herself is trying to learn how to use one as she has ME and can only knit by hand for short periods.

Thanks for letting me whinge!

Having finally found a knitting group which doesn't discriminate against those of us who use machines, two prospective new members said this morning 'oh look a knitting machine, that's cheating'.
I am afraid I turned round (yes they said it loudly behind my back) looked them up and down and said loudly, 'How did you get here this morning?'
'On the bus' they replied, looking puzzled at the question.
'Why did you use a machine to get here when your legs appear to function perfectly well? Did you sew all your clothes by hand or did you buy them? Why is that not cheating but using a knitting machine is?'
They were clearly nonplussed, maybe they only meant it as a joke - probably they did - but I am sick of 'jokes' at the expense of others (in this case myself). I happen to greatly enjoy using a knitting machine, and would use it regardless - but I would love to be able to knit by hand again without exacerbating the damage wrought by a combination of old injuries and old age ...

Disappointed - but no-one else remarked on my outburst as everyone else is aware that using a machine is very far from cheating and in fact can be quite a steep learning curve - the group organiser herself is trying to learn how to use one as she has ME and can only knit by hand for short periods.

Thanks for letting me whinge!

I sympathise; I used to get similar comments although the other way around in carpentry when I insisted on using hand tools (in my own time) when there were perfectly good machines in the next room. I'd use machines for work, but when I'm working for me, it's no-one else's business what methods I choose to use.

Top Bottom