A thread for stitchers, crafters, and makers

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
That looks great. If I were making it, I would line the fabric on the pocket up with the main fabric and apart from that yours deserves a Paul Hollywood handshake.

I see what you mean, I could still do that. I’ll see if that starts to bother me, which if course it didn’t until you pointed it out. 😬

alicat

Legendary Member
I see what you mean, I could still do that. I’ll see if that starts to bother me, which if course it didn’t until you pointed it out. 😬

It's the generally accepted way of doing pockets on patterned fabrics and if it doesn't bother you or produce an awkward result then leave it as it is.

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
@Speicher & @alicat

I unpicked the pocket, and re-did it, it almost lines up. Now I know why sewing a pocket onto a shirt front is one of the things you do first, because getting the bulk of shirt material through the sewing machine arch is difficult. Anyway I can live with it. Also I discovered although the first pocket was fine, I realised I had done it wrong.

I have also added button holes & buttons for the collar, so I can have a button down collar.

7B36F37D-514C-4891-AE28-BA8580429942.jpeg

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
:scratch:
If you undid the buttons and turned the shirt upside down, only that side of the shirt would need to go under the needle. Anyhoo, that is excellent. I particularly like the choice of buttons.

D’uh. Never thought of that! Well, I learn something every time. I’m going to redo the pocket on the first shirt too, maybe tomorrow. The Fragrant MrsP chose the materials and buttons.

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
@alicat the original bicycle shirt pocket was bugging me today, so I did it again. You can see the “ before” upthread.

8F35F7FE-E7B7-4F35-B9B7-85189C0ABA56.jpeg

Speicher

Vice Admiral
Good question! I usually keep any left over material. I roll it up and tie it loosely with a short length of the same fabric. Do not pin it into a roll! Years later when you need it, there will be rusty pin holes everywhere.

How much have you got left from making your shirt?

Do you have any grandchildren who might need a pair of shorts or a pyjama top for themselves or their favourite teddy or doll.

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
Good question! I usually keep any left over material. I roll it up and tie it loosely with a short length of the same fabric. Do not pin it into a roll! Years later when you need it, there will be rusty pin holes everywhere.

How much have you got left from making your shirt?

Do you have any grandchildren who might need a pair of shorts or a pyjama top for themselves or their favourite teddy or doll.

Grandchildren! I haven’t got any children! ( To the best of my knowledge).

As for material, there’s quite a bit, between the three shirts I made and the 3 dresses & 3 tops the Fragrant MrsP made, perhaps we could make a parachute.

Last edited:
Top Bottom