A thread for stitchers, crafters, and makers

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
Failing that, take up patchwork... or quilting... ;)

See edited post above.

Depending on the sizes of your remnants, you could make all sorts of little bags and pouches - trinket trays, cosmetic bags, pencil cases, pot-holders, placemats, coasters, fold-away shopping bags, tissue boxes - heck your entire house could be decorated with prints, patchwork and frills! You could even make a crinoline lady to make the spare bog roll 'nice'.
You wouldn't believe some of the stuff I used to make and sell when I did craft fairs; it was always the things I thought were really grim that sold best!

alicat

Legendary Member
Start creating a stash - I believe that's the modern term. You never know when you will need the odd scrap for something. I made a pair of hiking boots for a toy giraffe wholly from things I had knocking around.

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
Start creating a stash - I believe that's the modern term. You never know when you will need the odd scrap for something. I made a pair of hiking boots for a toy giraffe wholly from things I had knocking around.

The trouble is, you keep EVERYTHING and end up with loads of stuff.:laugh:

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
Depending on the sizes of your remnants, you could make all sorts of little bags and pouches - trinket trays, cosmetic bags, pencil cases, pot-holders, placemats, coasters, fold-away shopping bags, tissue boxes - heck your entire house could be decorated with prints, patchwork and frills! You could even make a crinoline lady to make the spare bog roll 'nice'.
You wouldn't believe some of the stuff I used to make and sell when I did craft fairs; it was always the things I thought were really grim that sold best!

The trouble is, you keep EVERYTHING and end up with loads of stuff.:laugh:

I have a cunning a devious plan. Stay tuned.

Speicher

Vice Admiral
I have a cunning a devious plan. Stay tuned.

Round here there are lots of crafts groups that meet once a week, or once a fortnight. Are there are similar groups where you are? If they do not use them in their craft sessions, the sewers seamstresses could use them for other things.

Before you give away/sell the fabric, can I make a suggestion?

Can you remember how much fabric you bought to make a shirt? Then measure what you have left over and you can work out how much fabric you used to make the shirt (add in approx half a yard for pattern matching). You will then know how much fabric you need next time to make a shirt.

I know that fabric can be sold in pre-cut lengths, so you will know if you need a pre-cut length of three or four or even five yards of fabric next time.

You could give them to a Hospice Charity shop that has people making things to sell for that Charity. I mention Hospice Charity shop because I know the local one, St Richard's, does that.

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
Round here there are lots of crafts groups that meet once a week, or once a fortnight. Are there are similar groups where you are? If they do not use them in their craft sessions, the sewers seamstresses could use them for other things.

Before you give away/sell the fabric, can I make a suggestion?

Can you remember how much fabric you bought to make a shirt? Then measure what you have left over and you can work out how much fabric you used to make the shirt (add in approx half a yard for pattern matching). You will then know how much fabric you need next time to make a shirt.

I know that fabric can be sold in pre-cut lengths, so you will know if you need a pre-cut length of three or four or even five yards of fabric next time.

You could give them to a Hospice Charity shop that has people making things to sell for that Charity. I mention Hospice Charity shop because I know the local one, St Richard's, does that.

Some good ideas for the future, but for now that ship has sailed. Mostly.

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
I made a teddy bear for one of my grandsons girlfriends. However, her niece got hold of it and dragged it around so much that poor teddy became terminally ill:laugh:.

So I am making another one from better yarn. So far I have the head, that's his nose by the way and his body. He might be finished today or then again maybe not. :laugh:

20221031_112426.jpg

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
I made a teddy bear for one of my grandsons girlfriends. However, her niece got hold of it and dragged it around so much that poor teddy became terminally ill:laugh:.

So I am making another one from better yarn. So far I have the head, that's his nose by the way and his body. He might be finished today or then again maybe not. :laugh:

View attachment 666528

Stop messing around here and get it done. 😀

Top Bottom