A thread for stitchers, crafters, and makers

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Joey Shabadoo

My pronouns are "He", "Him" and "buggerlugs"
That's the trouble: we're all tree hugging hippies. so we use lemon based sawdust filled hippy type soap.

And that's why...

20220813_091333.jpg

annedonnelly

Girl from the North Country
Latest bowl.

Also the bit of the log I have left - from the bark, I think it is cherry, but the wood seems rather pale, and open-grained for cherry.

View attachment 661814

View attachment 661815

EDIT - posters on facebook woodturners group are suggesting t is Beech, which it could well be, given I had some other(larger) beech from the same source, which I haven't started turning yet.

That bowl is stunning!

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
I use salt rather than sugar with the washing up liquid... but i buy posh sugar, which would be costly, for washing off oil

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
A long long story in a home far away....

40 odd years ago my mother always had the sewing machine on the go always making stuff, and selling it. There were always bits of material and cotton lying around the place, and pins, I was always standing on pins. The only time I ever touched the sewing machine was to move it from one table to another, then when she died I moved it again from my home to someone else's.

About a month ago the Fragrant MrsP decided she wanted to repair a couple of zips on jackets, rather than have them done by a professional. She liberated her mother's sewing machine (MIL never ever used it, its brand new), and taught herself how to replace zips. She then thought that she would make a dress, bought a pattern, material and other gubbins and over a period of a few days made not one, but two dresses.

The fragrant Mrs P is not naturally artistic, she can cut and lay a wooden floor, rewire a house, plumb in bathroom furniture, paint and decorate, strip down all the components of a bike and rebuild, but she is no artisan. That said she did a fantastic job of these dresses.

Encouraged she bought a pattern for a ladies shirt, on that pattern pack was a pattern for a man's shirt. She said she would make me one as well, but I had to choose the material. So of we went to the haberdashers and bought everything we needed. ( Haberdasher...great word) .

Now, I don't know what made me say it, but in the shop and in front of customers I said I was going to make my own shirt...I got some looks...I said " how hard it could it be?" .

Anyway, after many many hours and many many "words" I made a shirt. I actually found it quite difficult, mainly understanding the terminology and getting to grips with machine, but I did finish it.

Wanna see it? Ok then.

Shirt 1.jpg

Shirt 2.jpg

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
That is excellent @EltonFrog.

I have been sewing for donkey's years and would struggle with making a collar. The gentleman in my local fabric shop has made himself a shirt.

Esme would also be impressed, I'm sure.

The collar, particularly the neckband caused me to use the most words. Who is Esme?

Top Bottom