A tip for when you clean your bike....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

screenman

Legendary Member
OP, I hope you started by checking rear mech alignment, so few people do, this is the first place to start when doing anything towards adjusting the rear mech.

Dirk

If 6 Was 9
I put the bike up on the stand, take both wheels out, then generally spray the whole bike with GT85 - leave for a few minutes to let it soak in, then go over the whole bike, from the top down, with a soft rag.
This cleans, lubricates and protects all in one go.
Don't forget to wipe brakes and braking surfaces with meths before putting wheels back in.

young Ed

Veteran
I put the bike up on the stand, take both wheels out, then generally spray the whole bike with GT85 - leave for a few minutes to let it soak in, then go over the whole bike, from the top down, with a soft rag.
Don't forget to wipe brakes and braking surfaces with meths before putting wheels back in.
not sure about gt85 but apparently wd40 gunks the chain up?
Cheers Ed

OP
OP
mrandmrspoves

mrandmrspoves

Middle aged bald git.
OP, I hope you started by checking rear mech alignment, so few people do, this is the first place to start when doing anything towards adjusting the rear mech.

I visually check alignment - but would only normally check it formally with a tool if it is either visibly misaligned or there is a history that suggests accidental damage.

OP
OP
mrandmrspoves

mrandmrspoves

Middle aged bald git.
I meant to mention that I always clean and lubricate the chain separately using appropriate products. :shy:

The definition of appropriate products for chain cleansing and lubrication is almost as heavily debated as helmet use/non use.........

OP
OP
mrandmrspoves

mrandmrspoves

Middle aged bald git.
What! You mean she dosent have an army of workstands and a workshop? :ohmy:

If this refers to my OP - no, no workshop and no workstand - but that shouldn't be an issue, when I used to go mountain biking and my bike used to get liberally coated with mud, a quick spray of Muc Off (or the Poundland version at least!) followed by a gentle hosing down assisted by a soft brush used to get the bike clean. Then leave it out in the wind for an hour or two and a quick spray with a water dispersant, followed by a quick chain Mickle - job done. Only other thing I did (and still do) is fill all allen key bolt heads with grease to avoid rust. No need to turn the bike upside down at any stage.

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
If you go outside to clean your bike but it's cold just wash down the rims, quick scrub of the brake pads, lube and wipe chain and forget the rest. Get back indoors five minutes later and sit on the sofa next to the radiator.

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
After rinsing off the bike with water following an overall spray of Fenwicks FS1, I spray all over with GT85 - and then just leave it. No problems with brakes or braking.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
This weekend I rescued an old sheet that was being thrown out. It's one of those thick ones, quite absorbent. So now have a huge supply of rags for 2015. That was my only cycling related deed this weekend.

Top Bottom