A VERY positive response!! :)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

thomas

the tank engine
The other day I had (surprise, surprise) a close overtake. A few people on here and on youtube suggested complaining about it (I probably wouldn't have bothered otherwise)....I did post the clips somewhere in another thread but can't find it now.

I emailed the company who owned the taxi and got a polite email back from the guy the next morning, saying he'd watch the clip at home because he didn't have youtube at work (fair enough)...I expected never to hear back, but today I got this:

Dear Mr Etherington

Just to keep you informed, I have spoken to the driver about the near miss last Thursday. He does recall the incident and fully acknowledged that it was his fault. At the time he felt there was sufficient room to pass but, at the point of no return, the gap squeezed somewhat and the oncoming car was travelling faster than expected. That aside, there are no excuses and he has been suitably admonished and will take greater care in future.

Again my apologies.

Kind regards

Graeme
I thought I'd post this to give hope to anyone who has made a complaint, which haven't been taken seriously. This has probably been the most positive response I've had from a company.

My Mum just suggested he should of added, PS: I missed you ;):biggrin:

Moral of the story: I feel a lot better with this, than from the outcome of yelling at the guy earlier.

dudi

good stuff!
though the chap in the taxi is still a knob.
;)

Nice one. Now what you should do is take this to your local papers as a positive story, i.e. Taxi Firm Takes Cyclist Safety Seriously

Positive articles like this encourage the company to continue in this way and encourage other firms to follow their lead.

Of course there might not be enough interest in it to get it in the papers, but it is always worth a try.:biggrin:

OP
OP
thomas

thomas

the tank engine
dudi said:
good stuff!
though the chap in the taxi is still a knob.
:biggrin:

I'll forgive him for being honest to his boss. I know, with the video, you've kind of got no option, but a lot of people would have 'forgotten'.

magnatom said:
Positive articles like this encourage the company to continue in this way and encourage other firms to follow their lead.

Not sure I'd go that far, but it might make a few drivers wonder if they did the same thing, whether they'd find themselves being pulled up about it.

buggi

Bird Saviour
magnatom said:
Nice one. Now what you should do is take this to your local papers as a positive story, i.e. Taxi Firm Takes Cyclist Safety Seriously

Of course there might not be enough interest in it to get it in the papers, but it is always worth a try.:biggrin:

+1 i always find positive behaviours encourage better driving. i have to say that normally i would be dubious the company had bothered to do anything even if they said they did, but when i watched that video i actually said out loud "f*ckin 'ell" and i fail to see how anyone who watches it would not think the same. his boss was probably as disgusted as we all were and what he has written to you is probably true. if that was my employee i'd be raking him over the coals.

OP
OP
thomas

thomas

the tank engine
buggi said:
ps if i was you i'd start riding further out in the middle of the road so they can't do that anymore.

hah. That's what I think, yet in my thread with the lorry where I was holding a reasonable primary, I'm being blamed for aggravating him and blah blah blah....so if you don't do it your get it, but if you do do it you're still at fault.

I wouldn't say my position there is that bad, but I maybe would normally be a little bit further out. I'm not really sure what how the driver even thought there was a gap.

i have to say that normally i would be dubious the company had bothered to do anything even if they said they did, but when i watched that video i actually said out loud "f*ckin 'ell" and i fail to see how anyone who watches it would not think the same. his boss was probably as disgusted as we all were and what he has written to you is probably true. if that was my employee i'd be raking him over the coals.
I've had responses from bus companies so I'd like to think that I can tell the difference between those and this response. I do understand supporting your staff when people complain, but with the video it obviously shows he was in the wrong and if I was his employer I'd be worried about having to claim on the insurance if he carries on like this.

The bus companies that I've complained to just don't care, but both times I didn't have any video - which I think really strengthens any case. First took 3 months to respond and by then the driver, surprisingly couldn't remember it - how they found the driver though when I didn't even give the numberplate! Anglian buses, well, never responded...and when I phoned their main guy, well he had a lot of 'meetings'.

The AMK taxi people here, the guy responded the day after I sent the email at about 8 in the morning and then the follow up must have been under a week later (but that's fair enough, some time to watch the video, think it over, find the driver, talk to the driver, etc). Just got to have a little faith sometimes with what they say.

buggi

Bird Saviour
thomas said:
hah. That's what I think, yet in my thread with the lorry where I was holding a reasonable primary, I'm being blamed for aggravating him and blah blah blah....so if you don't do it your get it, but if you do do it you're still at fault.

I wouldn't say my position there is that bad, but I maybe would normally be a little bit further out. I'm not really sure what how the driver even thought there was a gap.

agree, your position isn't bad, it's their driving that's bad. but i did notice that the one before didn't give you much room either. we had a discussion group at work about dangerous situations like this and the general opinion was, better to piss off the driver than be dead. at least if he's pissed off with you, you know he has seen you. like you say, it would only have been a couple of seconds delay to him if he'd waited to over take. Go on... get out in the middle of the road! the more times i ride in primary and feel safer, the less worried i am about holding drivers up.

Bman

Guru
Whenever I get an impatient driver behind me using their horn, I like to slow down a little and turn around to look at them. Give them a shrug and carry on at a slightly slower pace. :biggrin::biggrin:

I've only done this once though and I did let him pass when it was safe. :smile:

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
buggi said:
agree, your position isn't bad, it's their driving that's bad. but i did notice that the one before didn't give you much room either. we had a discussion group at work about dangerous situations like this and the general opinion was, better to piss off the driver than be dead. at least if he's pissed off with you, you know he has seen you. like you say, it would only have been a couple of seconds delay to him if he'd waited to over take. Go on... get out in the middle of the road! the more times i ride in primary and feel safer, the less worried i am about holding drivers up.

+1

Top Bottom